Important: Google Chat is now available in early preview for personal Google Accounts on Android and desktop. When you turn on Google Chat in Gmail settings, you can test the experience and features. You can switch back to classic Hangouts in Gmail settings any time.
You can message a person or group in Google Chat the same way you do in classic Hangouts, but with enhanced features. Google Chat is available in Gmail. You can also use Google Chat on the web and on mobile with apps for Android, iOS, and desktop.
To help us improve, you can send feedback in Google Chat or in Gmail.
- Your existing conversations in classic Hangouts are shown in Google Chat.
- You can use Google Chat to continue conversations with people who use classic Hangouts.
- New messages from users in classic Hangouts will also show up for you in Google Chat.
If you use a Google Workspace account for work or school, you may already use Google Chat. Do I have classic Hangouts or Google Chat?
Sign in to Google Chat
Understand Google Chat symbols
|Schedule a meeting||Schedule & share a Google Calendar meeting|
|Search for people, words, or rooms||Search chat messages|
|Select a photo to send||Attach a file to a message|
|Start a video meeting||Start a video meeting|
|Take a photo to send||—|
Google Chat displays your Google Account's profile photo. Add or change your profile photo.
If you update your photo for Chat, it's updated for other Google services.
Send feedback in the Chat app
- Open the Google Chat app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Feedback.
- Enter your comments into the box.
Optional: If a screenshot would help explain your feedback to our support team, leave the box next to “Screenshot” checked. If you don’t want to include a screenshot, uncheck the box.
- At the top right, tap Send.
- If you’re sending feedback about a conversation or room, in the top right, you can tap More options Send feedback Send feedback.
- In your feedback, try to share as much detail about the problem or suggestion as you can.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.