You can send messages to other people or groups on Google Chat. When one or more people read your message, their avatar displays next to their last read message.Important: You cannot check how many people have read your message if:
- You're in a space.
- You're in a group conversation on an iPhone or iPad.
Learn how messages work in Google WorkspaceIf you use Google Chat on a Google Workspace account, you can send messages to people in and out of your organization.
- When you chat with someone outside of your organization, an “External” badge displays next to their name.
- You can chat with someone outside of your organization if:
- They use their personal Google Account.
- Both of your organizations allow it.
- You can't add people outside of your organization to group conversations.
- You can get suggestions for your current meeting on Google Calendar.
- On your computer, go to Google Chat.
- On the left, under “Chat,” click the name of the person or group you want to message.
- If you can’t find their name, click New chat or Start a chat .
- Enter a name or email address. Suggestions appear as you enter text.
- Tip: To send a direct message from a work or school account to someone outside your organization, enter their email address.
- Click the person you want to message.
- To create a group conversation, continue to enter people’s names.
- When you select everyone you want to include in the conversation, click Start chat.
- Tip: If you want to send a direct message to a specific person, next to their name, click Start chat , or use the keyboard shortcut ⌘ + Enter / Ctrl + Enter.
- Enter a message.
- Click Send .
- If you use a work or school account, suggestions include everyone in your organization, even those who don't have Google Chat.
- To message you back, the message recipient may need to accept your request.
You can remove members from a group conversation. When you remove someone from a group conversation, they can’t:
- Do any actions in that group conversation
- View that group conversation’s message history
- To add a person to the conversation or mention them: Type , then enter a name.
- To add emojis to your message: Click Emoji .
- To share files from your device: Click Upload file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared files.
- To share files from Google Drive: Click Add Google Drive file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared Drive files.
- To start a video call: Click Add video meeting .
- To schedule a calendar meeting: Click Calendar .
- To send a GIF: Click GIF .
- To add formatting to text: Click Format .