You can send messages to people who use Google Chat. If you use a Google Workplace account, you can only chat with someone outside of your organization if they use a personal Google Account or if both of your organizations allow it.
Remove people from a group conversation
- On your computer, go to Google Chat.
- On the left, under “Chat,” click the name of the person or group you want to message.
- If you can’t find their name, click New chat or Start a chat .
- Enter a name or email address. Suggestions appear as you enter text.
- Tip: To send a direct message from a work or school account to someone outside your organization, enter their email address.
- Click the person you want to message.
- To create a group conversation, continue to enter people’s names.
- When you select everyone you want to include in the conversation, click Start chat.
- Tip: If you want to send a direct message to a specific person, next to their name, click Start chat , or use the keyboard shortcut ⌘ + Enter / Ctrl + Enter.
- Enter a message.
- Click Send .
- If you use a work or school account, suggestions include everyone in your organization, even those who don't have Google Chat.
- To message you back, the message recipient may need to accept your request.
You can remove members from a group conversation. When you remove someone from a group conversation, they can’t:
- Do any actions in that group conversation
- View that group conversation’s message history
- Go to Google Chat or your Gmail account.
- On the left, select the group conversation you want to view.
- At the top, click the name of the group conversation.
- Click View members.
- To remove a person, click More options Remove from space.
Know when someone reads your message
- To add a person to the conversation or mention them: Type , then enter a name.
- To add emojis to your message: Click Emoji .
- To share files from your device: Click Upload file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared files.
- To share files from Google Drive: Click Add Google Drive file .
- Everyone in a space can find shared Drive files.
- To start a video call: Click Add video meeting .
- To schedule a calendar meeting: Click Calendar .
- To send a GIF: Click GIF .
- To add formatting to text: Click Format .
In a 1:1 message, a small avatar of the person you chat with appears to the right of the last message they read. You can't turn these read receipts on or off. Read receipts don’t appear in group conversations or spaces.