You can message a person or group with Google Chat even if they use classic Hangouts. You get the message in Google Chat, and your contacts get the message in the product they use: Google Chat or classic Hangouts.How different conversations in Google Chat & classic Hangouts interact
How classic Hangouts messages appear in Chat
|Classic Hangouts||Google Chat|
|1:1 message||1:1 message|
|Group conversation with no name||New group conversation|
|Group conversation with name||Unthreaded room|
Classic Hangouts messages in Chat
- Group conversations with a name in classic Hangouts: Can be viewed and replied to in Chat as “unthreaded" rooms.
- Group conversations without a name in classic Hangouts: Can be viewed and replied to in Chat as group conversations.
Tip: Unthreaded rooms and group conversations in Chat can also be viewed and replied to in classic Hangouts.
Message limitations between Google Chat & classic Hangouts
- Threaded rooms in Google Chat can’t be viewed or replied to in classic Hangouts.
- Tip: You can create an unthreaded room or group conversation in Chat with the same people to continue using classic Hangouts. Learn about rooms and group conversations.
- If you use a personal Google Account, you can be added as a guest to a threaded room created by someone who uses a work or school account.
- Pre-existing group conversations in Google Chat can’t be viewed or replied to in classic Hangouts.
- Tip: You can create a new group conversation in Chat with the same people to continue using classic Hangouts.
- When you edit or delete a message in Chat, the message isn't edited or deleted in classic Hangouts. Instead, a message is posted to classic Hangouts that indicates a message was edited or deleted in Google Chat.
How video calls work between Google Chat & classic Hangouts
|Type||Chat to classic Hangouts||Classic Hangouts to Chat|
|Emojis||Forwards to classic Hangouts||Forwards to Chat|
|Images||Sends a link to the image||Forwards to Chat|
|Videos||Sends a link to the video||Sends a link to the video|
|Files||Sends a link to the file||Classic Hangouts can't send files to chat|
|Stickers||Chat doesn't have stickers||Forwards to Chat|
|Locations||Chat doesn't share location||Forwards to Chat|
|Reactions||Reactions don't appear in classic Hangouts||Classic Hangouts can't add reactions|
|Bots||Sends a message that indicates a bot posted a message||Classic Hangouts doesn't support bots|
How Google Chat bot messages appear in classic Hangouts
- Video calls from Chat to a classic Hangouts user: Chat uses Meet for video meetings. If you use classic Hangouts, you get a link to the meeting.
- Video calls from classic Hangouts to a Chat user: Classic Hangouts has both built-in video calls and the option to use Meet for video calls. If you use Chat, you get a link to the meeting.
Search for Google Chat or classic Hangouts messages
- When a bot creates or modifies a Google Chat message, the message does not appear in classic Hangouts. Instead, a message is posted to classic Hangouts that indicates a bot posted a message in Google Chat.
- Bots don't exist in classic Hangouts, so the message is posted on behalf of the user who added the bot to the room or conversation.
- If you use classic Hangouts: 1:1 messages and group conversations are searchable in Gmail.
- If you use Chat: 1:1 messages, group conversations, and rooms are searchable in Chat or Gmail.