Make calls from Gmail
You can make a call from your Gmail account from your Google Chat list or your email.
Make a call using your Google Chat list
You'll know you're using Google Chat if the green, yellow, or red circle is next to a person's name on the left. If you're using Hangouts in Gmail, you'll see a green or gray circle on the bottom right of the person's photo. Learn more on how to call a phone using Hangouts.
- Log into your Gmail account.
- In your Google Chat list, click the Call phone icon . Remember, if you're using Hangouts, you won't see the Call phone icon . Instead, you'll need to switch to Hangouts to make a call.
- Use your mouse or keyboard’s number pad to dial the number you want to call.
- Click Call.
If you have a Google Voice number, it will appear on the recipient's caller ID. If you haven't set up a Google Voice number, a generic number will appear to the person you're calling.
Make a call from an email
You can make calls directly from an email you send or receive.
- When you open an email with a phone number in the text, the number will be blue.
- Click the phone number in the email.
- In the dial pad that appears, click Call.