Make a computer-to-computer voice or video call
To start a voice and video chat you'll need to:
- Download the voice and video call plug-in, quit all open browser windows, and install the plug-in.
- Sign in to Gmail, Google+, or your Chrome OS device.
If your contact has a camera icon next to their name in your Chat list, you can start a voice call with them. Simply select your contact from the chat list and in the Chat window that appears click the phone icon.
Hangouts and 1:1 video chat
If you’re using Chat in Gmail, Chrome OS, or Google+ you can start Hangouts directly from the Chat window.
Google+ Hangouts lets you video call with one person or have a multiway video call with up to 9 other people. To start a hangout from Gmail, Google+, or Chrome OS simply:
- Select the contact you want to chat with in your Chat list.
- Click the Hangouts icon at the top of the Chat window.
- Your contact will receive a Hangouts invite in their Chat window. Once they accept your invite, you both can start hanging out and even invite up to 8 more people to join you!
In addition to starting a hangout from the Chat window, you can also start a hangout in Gmail by:
- Hovering over a contact in your chat list and selecting the Hangouts icon on the profile card that appears.
- Clicking the Hangouts button at the top of your Chat list.
Megan is a Google Chat expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.