Voice and video chat
To use Google's voice and video chat feature, your computer and the other person's computer should meet the following requirements:
- Mac OS X
- Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux distributions
- Fedora and other RPM-based Linux distributions
- Google Chrome Download
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) Download
- Mozilla Firefox Download
- Safari Download
Processor Minimum Requirements:
- Any 2 GHz dual core processor or greater.
- For 1:1 connections, we suggest a 1 mbps/1 mbps (up/down)
- For group video connectivity, we suggest 1 mbps/2 mbps (up/down)
In addition, you need to have a broadband connection to the Internet.
If you're using voice and video chat over a corporate network, your network administrator should ensure that it has ports 80 and 443 open. For the best voice and video quality, we also strongly recommend allowing UDP over any port.
Megan is a Google Chat expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.