Hangouts system requirements on a computer
To use Hangouts, your computer must meet the following requirements:
Supported browsers and operating systems
Hangouts supports the current version and the 2 previous major releases of the browsers listed below on a rolling basis.
- Google Chrome Download
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) Download
- Mozilla Firefox Download
- Safari Download
Hangouts supports the current version and the 2 previous major releases of the operating systems listed below on a rolling basis.
- Mac OS X
- Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux distributions
Specifications for sending and receiving messages
- You can have a group Hangout with up to 150 people.
Requirements and specifications for video calls
There are a few specifications and limitations of video calls that you should be aware of:
- Video calls can have a maximum of 10 participants.
- There's a 150 minute check-in to make sure you're still there (for Google Apps for Work, the check-in is after 12 hours).
- You need to have a broadband connection to the Internet.
- We recommend using USB web cameras and BlackMagic devices for the best video call experience. Other devices, like virtual cameras, may not work with Hangouts.
Processor Minimum Requirements:
- Any 2 GHz dual core processor or greater.
- For 1:1 connections we suggest a 1 mbps/1 mbps (up/down)
- For group video connectivity we suggest 1 mbps/2 mbps (up/down)
The bandwidth used by Hangouts is adaptive and will vary to provide the best experience for the given conditions of the participants’ network. Here is a guide for the minimum and maximum bandwidth requirements and expectations:
Minimum bandwidth required:
- Outbound from the participant: 300 kbps
- Inbound to the participant: 300 kbps
Ideal bandwidth for the best experience:
- Outbound from the participant: 2.6 mbps
- Inbound to the participant: 2.6 mbps
With group video calls of more than 2 people you can expect bandwidth usage in ideal situations to be:
- Outbound from the participant in all situations: 2.6 mbps
- Inbound to the participant with 5 participants: 3.2 mbps
- Inbound to the participant with 10 participants: 4.0 mbps
Caroline is a Hangouts expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.