Google plans to shut down the Electron-based Google Chat app in March 2021. You can use the Google Chat progressive web app (PWA) in its place. The PWA offers a faster and more secure experience with better capability and reliability. The PWA updates automatically – you only need to keep up with Chrome Browser updates.
The PWA is supported with Chrome Browser version 73 or higher on:
- Chrome OS
Install the Chat progressive web app
For a simple and efficient way to use Google Chat, install the new Google Chat standalone app from your Chrome Browser. The standalone app is a progressive web application (PWA) that provides a native app experience.
Before you begin
To install the new Chat PWA standalone app, make sure:
Install the standalone app on your computer
- Sign in to chat.google.com.
- Use any of these methods to install the app on your computer:
- If the app isn't already installed, a pop-up window will open to allow you to download the app.
- At the top right of Google Chrome, click More Install Google Chat.
- At the top right of chat.google.com, click Settings Install Chat app.
Note: If you already created a Chrome shortcut to chat.google.com, the standalone app automatically installs for you. You won't see the option to install the app.
To open the app from Chrome, go to chrome://apps and click Google Chat. On a Chromebook, you can find the app in the launcher (button at the bottom left of the screen).
Uninstall the Electron-based Google Chat app on your Mac
- Open Finder.
- Click Applications.
- Drag Chat into Bin.
- At the top left, click Finder > Empty bin.
Uninstall the Electron-based Google Chat app on Windows
For Windows 10:
- At the bottom left-hand side of your screen, click Start.
- Click Settings > Apps > Chat > Uninstall.