About Local Guides
Local Guides contribute content on business listings like yours to help potential customers decide where to go and what to do. Local Guides are part of a global community of people who write reviews, share photos, answer questions, add or edit places, and check facts on Google Maps. Millions of people rely on their contributions to learn what your business can offer.
How Local Guides help make Maps better
Local Guides contribute content on Maps because it helps both people and businesses in their communities. Local Guides help to keep Maps listings up-to-date and make businesses credible in the eyes of customers.
Here are some of the main ways Local Guides help make the Maps experience better:
- Reviews and Q&A: To help customers get to know businesses better, Local Guides write reviews and answer questions about the places they’ve visited. They share their experience, and may also include tips or additional information not easily found elsewhere. Customers rely heavily on reviews when they select a business, so the more reviews, the better.
- Photos and videos: To showcase businesses from a customer’s perspective, Local Guides upload photos and videos. They may also highlight specific details of the business (e.g. a great dish to try, interesting products, or accessibility features).
Note: Photos are labeled to differentiate between photos added by the business versus photos added by Local Guides or customers.
- Accurate information: Local Guides help keep businesses’ information up-to-date (e.g. hours of operation, phone number, website, and more). They also help to report spam, like inappropriate reviews or photos, or duplicate listings.
Learn more about Local Guides.
Policies and incentives for Local Guides
To ensure that Local Guides contribute quality content, there are policies and incentives for their participation. For example:
- Incentives: By sharing quality contributions, Local Guides can earn points and reach higher levels of the program. For example, they can earn one point by rating a business, but they earn more points for longer, more substantial reviews. Local Guides can also become eligible for badges and perks from Google.
Note: There are no monetary incentives for Local Guides.
- Policies: Local Guides’ contributions are subject to the same policies and constraints as any other contributions. Reviews, photos, and videos will be removed if they distort the truth or violate our content policy. Local Guides don't earn points for contributions that are removed, and they can be banned if they violate any of these policies. Learn how to flag inappropriate photos or reviews.