About posts for local businesses
You can connect with existing and potential customers through your Business Profile on Google Search and Maps by using posts. You can create and share announcements, offers, new or popular items in stock, or event details directly with your customers.
Important: If you aren't a local business (one that serves customers at a particular location or within a designated service area), consider looking into Posts on Google for verified entities. Learn more about Posts on Google.
When customers have more access to your business information and updates, they can make better decisions as they browse. This allows you to:
- Directly communicate with your local customers
- Improve your customer experience with timely information
- Promote your sales, specials, events, news and offers
- Engage with your customers through videos and photos
How it works
Posts can include text, photos or videos to promote Business Profiles. They’re visible to users through:
- The “Updates” or “Overview” tabs of the Business Profile on mobile on Search and Maps based on various signals.
- The “From the Owner” section of the Business Profile on your computer on Search and Map.
- On Google My Business websites.
Tip: Posts more than a week old get archived, unless a date range is specified. Learn how to create posts on Google.
Each post type provides your audience with specific details and allows you to add an action button to your post.
- What's new: Provide general information about your business. You can include a photo/video, description and an action button. For example, a restaurant can make a post to promote a new menu item.
- Events: Promote an event at your business. Events require a title, start/end dates and time. If there aren’t start or end times, then the system will default to 24 hours on the date that it's posted. These posts may also include a photo, video, description and an action button. For example, a bookshop may advertise a local author's book signing or a book club meeting. Events that meet certain criteria may also show on the Overview tab of the Business Profile to make them more prominent to customers.
- Offers: Provide promotional sales or offers from your business. Offers require a title, start/end dates and times. A "View offer" action button is automatically added to the post. You can also include a photo, video, description, coupon code, link and terms and conditions with the post. For example, a pizza parlour may advertise 20% off large pizzas for a week. Offers appear near the top of the Business Profile on Google Search and Maps. They also appear with all other posts in the Updates tab.
- Products: Emphasise a specific product that your business sells. Product posts require a title and photo or video. You can also include a description, price or price range and an action button. For example, an electronics shop may promote a new phone for sale.