You can communicate with your customers through the chat feature on your Business Profile. For the best interaction experience, follow the guidelines below. The following policies outline forbidden behaviours and provide information on how to block a conversation or opt out of the service.
Guidelines for merchantsHelp secure personal and confidential information
Make sure that you don’t provide or request sensitive information during a chat with customers. Sensitive information includes, but is not limited to:
- Credit card numbers
- Social Security, passport or other government identification numbers
- Login credentials, like passwords
To help keep your customers’ information safe, don’t discuss sensitive content during chats. It’s strictly not allowed to use personal information in ways to which the other party hasn't consented.
To help ensure that customers have a good experience with your business, respond to them in a timely manner.
- Don’t fail to respond to a customer.
- Don’t wait an unreasonable period of time to respond to a customer.
It’s also unacceptable to send irrelevant or unwanted messages to customers who contacted you.
- Don’t message about a product or service unrelated to the original request.
- Don’t message repeatedly with no response.
- Don’t reply with an excessively long message or with excessive use of emojis and URLs.
Do not impersonate an organisation or individual. Do not make false statements about your identity or qualifications, such as falsely claiming to be an authorised representative of a company. Make sure that you follow the guidelines for representing your business on Google.
Do not provide inaccurate promotion information that omits or obfuscates how the user will be billed or charged.
Guidelines for merchants and consumersInappropriate content
Conversations should focus on the business and services offered. Avoid any inappropriate content, including:
- Content that promotes or condones hatred or violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity
- Harassing, bullying or threatening content toward individuals or groups
- Graphic or violent materials for the sake of disgusting others
- Sexually explicit or pornographic images or videos
- Content that exploits or abuses children
Chat is meant for quality conversations between merchants and customers.
- Don’t send spam, such as unsolicited messages or unwanted promotional or commercial content.
- Don’t share content or engage in behaviours that harm or interfere with customers’ devices, network operations or other infrastructure.
- Don’t use this service for phishing scams.
Don’t use this service to engage in illegal activities or promote dangerous and illegal acts. Fraudulent or illegal activities aren’t tolerated on Google and may result in account suspension and removal of business information from search results. In those cases, we may report you to the relevant authorities.
It’s also your responsibility to comply with all applicable laws and regulations when using this feature.