Categories describe your business and connect you to customers who search for the products or services that you offer.
For example, if your primary category is 'Pizza restaurant', Google may show your business in someone’s local search results when they search for 'Restaurants', 'Italian restaurants' or 'Pizza'. Your category is just one of many factors that can affect your local ranking on Google. Learn more about local ranking.
Depending on the type of business that you operate, your category may also be used to assign a place label to your business.
Choose your category
Choose a primary category that describes your business as a whole, and be specific. When you start to enter your category, choose a category from a drop-down that shows up.
- For example, choose 'Nail salon' instead of 'Salon'.
If the category that you have in mind isn’t available, choose a more general category that still accurately describes your business. You can’t create your own category.
Choose additional categories to let customers know more about your special departments or services. However, don’t add a category for every product or service. Use as few categories as possible to describe your overall core business from the provided list.
- For example, if you manage a grocery shop that includes a pharmacy and deli, choose 'Grocery shop' as your primary category, then add 'Pharmacy' and 'Deli' as additional categories. Learn more about how to choose categories.
If your business includes public-facing departments that operate as distinct entities, they should have their own profiles. Do not add their category to the main profile.
- For example, if your business is a health club that has an independently operated cafe, do not add the category 'Cafe'. Instead, the operator of the cafe can create their own business profile with 'Cafe' as their primary category. Learn more about departments.
Depending on your business category, you may notice special features available for your Business Profile. Here are some examples of category-specific features:
- Food and drink businesses can add URLs to their profiles for online orders, reservations and their menu. They can also add menu items directly.
- Businesses that offer specific services, such as health and beauty businesses, can add a booking button to their profiles and update their menu of services.
Important: If you add or edit one of your existing categories, you may be asked to verify your business again. This helps Google confirm that your business information is accurate.
- On your computer, sign in to the Google Account that you use to manage your Business Profile.
- To find your Business Profile, search on Google for your exact business name. You can also search for 'my business'.
- To open your Business Profile, near the top, click Edit profile Business information.
- Under 'About', click Business category.
- To add or edit your primary category: In the 'Primary category' box, enter and select the category from the options that show up.
- To add an additional category: Click Add another category. Then, in the 'Additional category' box, enter and select the category that you want to add.
- After you make your changes, click Save.