Before you can import your spreadsheet, each location must have a unique shop code. Having a unique shop code for every location in your account ensures that changes are accurately applied to each location when you import a new spreadsheet.
Add shop codes
You can add or change shop codes at any time in your Google My Business dashboard. Or, use your bulk upload spreadsheet to add new shop codes for new locations.
To add or change missing shop codes, use your Google My Business dashboard:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- In the menu panel on the left, click Info.
- On the right under 'Advanced information', locate 'Shop code'.
- To add a shop code, click the pencil icon .
- Enter the shop code in the window that appears, then click Apply.
Bear in mind
- Any unique identifier can be a shop code. A shop code can be anything from the name of a place to a random number, as long as it stays the same to refer to that location.
- Include your brand name in your shop code to avoid confusion between spreadsheets (for separate business or personal accounts). For example, if Google had 100 locations, they might be named 'GOOG1', 'GOOG2', 'GOOG3', etc. Learn more about formatting shop codes.
To change a shop code, use your Google My Business dashboard.
Adding shop codes with a bulk spreadsheet upload only works when you’re adding a new location. If you add or change a shop code to an existing location, it will create a duplicate location.
- Download your locations to a spreadsheet.
- Enter shop codes in the spreadsheet. Don't change the address of any locations.
- Upload the spreadsheet with the new shop codes.
If you maintain an offline spreadsheet, make sure that it also uses the new shop codes.