To keep your business information on Google accurate and up to date, you can edit your Business Profile on Google. To help potential customers find and learn more about your business, you can change information like your address, hours, contact info, and photos.
You can also edit your information before you verify your business. The changes can include the name, category, address, hours, phone number, and website. After approval, these changes can be published before the business is verified on Google Search and Maps. Some business owners may still need to verify their business first before they edit their information.
Important: As a COVID-19 precaution, we're operating with a limited team. It may take longer than usual to connect with us. We recommend our Help Community and YouTube Channel.
Edit your Business Profile
To edit your profile directly on Google Search and Maps:
- Go to your Business Profile. Learn how to find your profile.
- Select Edit profile Business information.
- After each change you make, select Save.
The following are some helpful tips for the types of information you can add or edit on your Business Profile.
Select the category that best matches your business. All locations of a business must share a “Primary category.” Choose a category that's as specific as possible and representative of your main business. If you select several categories, the category in the first field will be your primary category.
You can select up to 9 more categories. If you have trouble choosing a category for your business, choose one that’s general. Keep in mind:
- Do not use categories solely as keywords or to describe attributes of your business.
- Do not use categories that match other nearby or related businesses. For example: A business that’s located inside your business’s physical location, or an entity that contains your business.
Enter the complete and exact address for your business location. Learn more about address entry guidelines.
- If you don't serve customers at your business address: Leave the address field blank.
- If you change your address after you request a verification letter: You must verify your business again.
If your business serves customers within a specific local area, enter your service area. When you list your service area, your customers know where you'll go to visit or deliver to them.
You can set your service area based on the cities, postal codes, or other areas that you serve. Learn about how to set your service area.
- In addition to your primary business phone number, you can enter up to 2 more phone numbers. The numbers must be mobile or landline, not fax.
- You can hide the phone number on your Business Profile.
- Sign in to the Google Account you used to sign up for Business Profile.
- To find your Business Profile, search Google for your exact business name. You can also search for
- If needed, to manage your Business Profile, select View profile.
- On your Business Profile, select Edit profile More Business Profile Settings.
- Select Advanced settings.
- Under "Phone number,” turn on or off Don't show.
Enter your business’s website. Make sure that:
- Googlebot isn't blocked on your site.
- You checked Search Console for any possible penalties to your site.
Depending on your business category, you may see options to add additional links, like online orders, reservations, and appointments.
Attributes tell customers more about your business. For example: "Has Wi-Fi” or "Offers outdoor seating." You can edit certain factual attributes, like outdoor seating. Subjective attributes, like whether your business is popular with locals, rely on the opinions of Google users who have visited your business.
To add or remove attributes available for your business category, click Attributes .
Tip: If you own or manage a healthcare profile, you can edit the following information in Attributes :
- Whether your business offers online care.
- Whether you provide customers a direct method to schedule and receive online care.
- Your gender.
Enter a brief description of your business.
Things to include:
- What you offer
- What sets you apart
- Your history
- Anything else that's helpful for customers to know
Things to avoid:
- Do not include URLs or HTML code.
- Do not exceed 750 characters in the description field.
Focus primarily on details about your business instead of details about promotions, prices, or sales. For the full list of guidelines, read business description guidelines.
Example: "We're an independent ice cream shop located steps from the center of town. We’re proud to be the favorite for locals to meet friends for a cone or call for a fresh pizza, delivered straight to their home. We serve 35 flavors of homemade, hand-churned ice creams and sorbets year-round. The pizza oven turns out New York-style pies every day from midday until close. Come see us today!"
Add an opening date to your Business Profile to let customers know when your business first opened or will open.
Google uses various sources to determine how long a business has been in operation. If the merchant believes there’s an error, they can set the correct opening date.
Only the year and month of your opening date are required. You can enter a date up to one year in the future, but it won't show up on Google until 90 days before the date.
Set your opening date on Google Search
- Make sure you’re signed in to the Google Account you used to sign up for Google Business Profile.
- To find your Business Profile, search on Google for your exact business name.
- You can also search for
- You can also search for
- To open your Business Profile, select Edit profile Business information.
- On a computer: Scroll to the “Opening date” field, then select it.
- On a mobile device: Under the “About” tab, tap Opening date.
- Enter the required fields.
- Select Save.
Set your opening date on Google Maps
Important: You can only edit Business Profiles on Google Maps on a mobile device.
- On your mobile device, open the Google Maps app .
- Make sure you're signed in to the Google Account you used to sign up for Google Business Profile.
- To open your Business Profile, in the top right, tap your profile picture or initial Your Business Profile.
- If you manage multiple businesses, open the one you want to update.
- Tap Edit profile Business information.
- Under the "About" tab, tap Opening date.
- Enter the required fields.
- Tap Save.
Healthcare providers like doctors, therapists, and other medical practitioners can add healthcare insurance to their Business Profiles on Google. A “Check insurance info” link might display below your business’s hours.
In a new feature pilot, Google displays available sales inventory on dealership Business Profiles. Customers can then search, filter, and learn more about your cars for sale, which may direct customers to your dealership. If you're a dealer, or a partner who works with dealers, and are interested in this feature, fill out the interest form.
Partners who sign up for the pilot can manage the functionality directly on Google Search. To update sales inventory, click Edit Profile Cars for Sale. You can choose if you want to display cars for sale and select preferred data providers.