Review and photo policies
Whether you're going to a place or you own one, you want ratings, reviews, photos and recommendations that are helpful and trustworthy. Reviewing a place and adding your own photos are great ways to share both positive and negative opinions. But please follow the policies listed below when writing your review and adding a photo.Review content policies
We’ll remove content that violates any of the content policies below:
- Advertising: Don’t use reviews for advertising, such as adding links to other websites, or phone numbers. Reviews should be a genuine reflection of your experience with a place – don't post reviews just to manipulate a place's ratings.
- Spam: Don’t spam. Write a genuine report of your experience with the place. Don't include promotional/commercial content, don't post the same content several times and don't write reviews for the same place from different accounts.
- Phone numbers, email addresses or URLs: To help prevent advertising and spammy reviews, we don’t allow phone numbers, email addresses or links to other websites in reviews. If you want to add an updated number, email address or URL for the business that you’re reviewing, use the Report a problem link to report that information instead.
- Off-topic reviews: Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience or that aren't about the specific place that you’re reviewing. Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary, or personal rants. Wrong location or the place is closed? Use the Report a problem link to report that information instead of writing a review.
- Keep it clean: Don’t use obscene, profane or offensive language. We’ll also remove reviews that represent personal attacks on others.
- Conflict of interest: Reviews are most valuable when they're honest and unbiased. If you own or work at a place, please don’t review your own business or employer. Don’t offer or accept money, products or services to write reviews for a business or to write negative reviews about a competitor. If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.
- Illegal content: Don’t post reviews that contain or link to unlawful content, such as links that facilitate the sale of prescription drugs without a prescription.
- Copyrighted content: Don't post reviews that infringe others' rights – including copyright. For more information or to file a DMCA request, review our copyright procedures.
- Sexually explicit material: We don't allow reviews that contain sexually explicit material. Also, we absolutely don’t allow reviews that sexually exploit children or present them in a sexual manner. For this type of content, we'll remove the review, shut down the account and send a report to the National Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), as well as to the police.
- Impersonation: Don’t post reviews on behalf of others, or misrepresent your identity or connection with the place that you’re reviewing.
- Personal and confidential information: Don’t post reviews that contain another person’s personal and confidential information, including credit card information, government identification number, driver’s licence information, etc.
- Hate speech: We don't allow reviews that advocate against groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Not sure what to write? Get some tips for writing great reviews.
Adding relevant photos and videos helps others discover the places that are just right for them. Make the best photos and videos by following these tips:
- Keep it relevant. Photographs are a great way of sharing your experience with a business in an artistic, evocative way, but please make sure your photograph or video is about the relevant business page. We will remove photos that are not related to the business.
- Pictures are worth a thousand words. Try to make your pictures more images than text. While uploading a photo of the menu or the shop front would be permitted, other users might want to see the photo you took of the delicious cheesecake.
- Quality over quantity. Upload high-quality photos or videos if possible. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated or too dark may be removed.
We reserve the right to remove photographs and videos that violate our content policy and suspend business owners who upload such media. Photos or videos that violate our content policy might contain:
- Illegal content
- Violations of copyright
- Trademark infringement
- Incitement to violence
- Promotion of hate
- Invasion of privacy
Photos that are uploaded to business pages should also be relevant to the business represented by the page. Specifically, they should:
- Not merely be text, unless it's relevant to the place. For example, the menu of a restaurant or a photo of the shop front with large fonts would be permitted.
- Not be copyrighted, unless uploaded with permission of the copyright owner
- Be of respectable quality. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated or too dark may be removed.
Read the full terms of service for images and videos uploaded to Google Maps.