Last updated: 10 May 2021
The following policies help make sure that published photos and videos create a positive experience for customers.
You're responsible for your posted imagery to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
We also occasionally modify these policies, so check here again for any updates. We'll provide notice of such changes if required by applicable law.
When an author publishes a photo or video on behalf of a business, their published content should be relevant to the business and help customers better understand the business. Photo or video that's irrelevant to the business or that has no clear association with the business isn't allowed. Refer to Guidelines on representing your business on Google.
Google My Business is not meant to be a forum for general political, social commentary or personal rants. Photos or videos that do not meet this standard are removed.
A published photo or video should not mislead your customers. It should be upfront and honest about the information presented.
Examples that are not allowed include:
- Automated or distracting photos or videos, such as blurry or poor photo or video quality, or unrecognisable content
- Photos, videos or links that negatively distract the reader's attention
- Photos or videos with superimposed phone numbers/brands that mislead users.
- Links to malware, viruses or other harmful software
- Links to sites irrelevant to the business
- Phishing scams
This service does not allow a photo or video that:
- Harasses, bullies or is hateful.
- Photo or video cannot be used to harass or bully individuals, including direct physical threats or exposure of private information that could be used to carry out implied threats.
- Text, images, videos or links cannot include slurs or derogatory epithets about groups based on ethnic origin, race, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or nationality ('protected groups').
- Published photo or video cannot promote hatred or incite violence against individuals or protected groups.
- Disparages a person, place or thing, or that would likely make the reader or listener upset or angry.
- Contains obscene, profane or offensive language or gestures.
- Promotes or encourages violence, or that graphically depicts injuries, abuse of humans or animals or violent acts.
- Additionally, photo or video that's likely to shock or disgust is not permitted.
- Is sexually suggestive or sexually explicit.
- Photo or video published on this service cannot include nudity or sex acts.
- Photo or video cannot include profanity, slang terms that are sexually graphic and offensive, terms that are common signals for pedophilia, content that promotes pedophilia, bestiality, sexual violence or content that promotes escort services or other services that may be interpreted as providing sexual acts in exchange for compensation. Links to adult content are not permitted.
The privacy of Google users is of utmost importance to us. While you’re welcome to contribute a photo or video that illustrates your world, it's critical that you do so in a manner that respects the privacy preferences of others.
We do not allow photo or video that contains private or confidential information, such as:
- Personal financial information
- Personal health information
- Government-issued IDs
- Contact information linked or associated with a name
- Sensitive records or images
- Transcripts or links that contain personal information
You should not publish a photo or video taken from no-photo zones. Photo and video from private or publicly inaccessible locations should not be published without the owner's consent.
Be a good neighbour and do not publish a photo or video in which people are identifiable without their permission. This is particularly important in sensitive locations where people may object to the publication of their image.
Only incidental depiction of regulated goods is allowed.
- Allowed content (incidental depiction): Video of your restaurant with customers in the background drinking a glass of wine
- Not allowed content: Video entirely dedicated to alcoholic beverages, where the alcohol is the main focus of the video.
You can flag privacy-related claims, other than the points listed in this section, through 'Copyright or legal issues' on the 'Report a problem' feature.
Regulated or illegal
We do not allow a photo or video related to regulated products and services, which can include alcohol, tobacco products, gambling, financial services, pharmaceuticals and unapproved supplements, or health or medical devices.
Photo or video related to the sale of dangerous and illegal products, services or activities that cause damage, harm or injury is not permitted. Examples include: Recreational drugs, weapons, fireworks and instructions to make explosives, and detailed instructions for or that otherwise encourage criminal activity that would lead to real-world harm.
Do not upload or share a photo or video that exploits or abuses children. This includes all child sexual abuse imagery (even cartoon images) and all content that presents children in a sexual manner. We will remove such imagery and take appropriate action, which may include disabling accounts and reporting to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) and law enforcement.
We do not permit terrorist organisations to use this service for any purpose, including recruitment. We also strictly prohibit photo or video related to terrorism, such as content that promotes terrorist acts, incites violence or celebrates terrorist attacks. If a business posts terrorism-related content for an educational, documentary, scientific or artistic purpose, they should provide enough information so that viewers understand the context.
We do not allow a photo or video that contains a serious, specific and imminent threat to another person or the person themselves.
Misrepresentation & misleading claims
Do not impersonate an organisation or individual. Do not make false statements about your identity or qualifications, such as falsely claiming to be an authorised representative of a company. Refer to Guidelines on representing your business on Google.
Do not provide inaccurate depiction of information that omits or obfuscates how your customer will be billed or charged.
We do not allow a photo or video to cover news related to COVID-19 as these can promote fake news. Additionally, do not upload photo or video that creates distress, and benefits from difficult situations through commercial advantage or self-promotions related to COVID-19.