Book status and availability
There are three levels of activation for books submitted to the Partner Program:
- activated for preview in Google Books and enabled for sale in the Google Play store (available in limited countries)
- activated for preview in Google Books
Each book will display one of the following status messages in your Book Catalog and on the individual book settings page:
- Live on Google Play: The book is available in the Google Play store. In the Book Catalog, hover your cursor over the status message to see the countries where the book is available for sale; on the book's settings page, click the status button.
- Live on Google Books: The book is previewable on Google Books. In the Book Catalog, hover your cursor over the status message to see the countries where the preview is available; on the book's settings page, click the status button.
- Needs approval: You've added this book to your account, but you haven't yet indicated whether you'd like it to be available on Google Books or in the Google Play store. (You can avoid this status by adjusting template settings to automatically apply defaults.)
- Needs action: There's an issue preventing the book from going live on Google Books or the Google Play store. In the Book Catalog, hover your cursor over the status message in your account to see more details; on the book's settings page, click the status button. Use our troubleshooting tool to check what steps you should take.
- Unknown: This status can appear when our system is still processing your book settings.
If you'd like to view details on the status of all your books without hovering over each status message in the Book Catalog, you can download a spreadsheet of your books and view the Status column. When downloading the spreadsheet, be sure to check the box labeled Show metadata columns.
Change activation settings
Click the status button on the book's individual settings page (next to the Save button) in order to change the book's availability.
- Activating the book will allow it to become previewable on Google Books.
- Enabling the book for sale will allow it to be sold on Google Play (available in limited countries).
- Deactivating the book will remove it from Google Books and Google Play.
Note that you may also need to provide files and settings for the book to go live. If this is the case, the book will display a status of "Needs action."
Currently, you can't activate or deactivate books for Google Books in bulk. (Please contact us if you need to do this.) However, you can enable multiple activated books for sale or remove them from sale by using a spreadsheet.