/assistant/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
- Google user
8/8/18
Is Google Assistant *still* unable to read text messages aloud? 0 Recommended Answers 37 Replies 122 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
Last edited 8/9/18
I'd like Assistant to read my texts aloud when I'm in the car. Thus far, nothing has worked. I've read a few forum posts from earlier this year that indicate it wasn't a feature. Has this changed? If so, what's the command? I know there are third party apps, but this seems like it should be native. I just switched from iPhone and this is making me reconsider the Pixel2.

*Edit - I drive a 2014 Mazda 3
All Replies (37)
8/9/18
Mine read SMS to me today but not Hangouts, which is what I wanted.
Nexus 6P running Oreo.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/9/18
It should be able to. I dont happen to have any new texts right now but when I asked it replied that it couldnt find any, so that makes it llok to me that it work
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
- Google user
8/9/18
Still not working. Tried two third party apps and the system will not read them while driving.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/9/18
What commands are you using to try this and what response are you getting?
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
- Google user
8/9/18
I've tried: read my texts out loud, read my SMS, read out my texts, read out my messages, tell me my messages, tell me my texts. All of these work outside of the car. In the car? No go.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/9/18
Are you using Android Auto or something else? May be an issue there that you need to contact that support about
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
- Google user
8/10/18
I tried Android Auto and MessageLOUD. Nothing works. I contacted Google and they have no idea. Suggested I send feedback to the dev team. Phone is going back.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
- Google user
8/10/18
I unpaired, re-paired and reinstalled both apps. Auto doesn't work at all. MessageLOUD works for SMS not for nav. It's too bad. I like the phone otherwise.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/10/18
I just tried it on my pixel phone and it works.  I said "read my last few text messages" and it worked.  What does it say when you try?
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/19/19
I upgraded my blind mother to an S9 and the read text does not work.  Our provider says it is a samsung problem.  Please peovide a fix!
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/assistant/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic