/assistant/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Driving mode doesn't read incoming text messages
Device: Pixel 3a XL with Google Messages as the default texting app

In the Assistant's driving mode I will get a notification of an incoming text message, and it looks like it tries to read it, but nothing comes through the speakers, it then just says "Do you want to reply?" If I ask it to read my latest messages the same thing happens. Any way to fix this?
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (16)
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Do you have Auto read enabled and are in a supported country?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am in the USA and auto mode is on.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am in USA and have made sure auto read is on. I tested again in Driving Mode and it is still not reading the messages.

Note also this is in Android 12, not sure that has anything to do with it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Where are you located?

This feature is available in English for the following countries:
  • Australia
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Singapore
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
As I said above I am in the United States, using in English
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Here's how I fixed to this same issue. I am using a Pixel 3a Xl (phone #1) on Android 12.

I had another 3a XL (phone #2) that was factory reset

I plugged phone #1 into phone #2 when prompted while setting up the "new" phone #2. When I was asked what I wanted to copy to the new phone #2 I deselected "Device settings" so those wouldn't copy to the new phone #2. (I was guessing that it was a phone setting that was causing the problem). 

I finished setting phone #2 up and the driving mode problem was fixed. Now incoming messages are read out loud and I can respond to them vocally.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a (still) great Galaxy S9 and I don't have any problems with other apps - just Assistant.  This exact problem happens whether I'm in driving mode or not.  It just announces that I have a new message and when I ask it to read it, I get nothing ...  then, "Do you want to hear it again?"

I'm not about to switch phones to eliminate an obvious programming/software glitch.

Going back through the forum, this has been going on for YEARS.  Wtf, Google?!?!?
PS don't tell me try your list of "fixes" because I have done the ALL, multiple times.  Nothing works.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This worked fine for me on Android Auto on Android 11 Pixel 4 XL. Once I'm on Android 12 and driving mode I have the same problem. The messages just don't play which is just useless now
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just asked my son to check on his Pixel 6. It works fine for him. So the software isn't broken but there must be some setting on a phone that is breaking it.  Also annoyingly in Android 11, Android Auto would allow you to respond to more than SMS but other apps like (for me)WeChat. Now it's only Android Messages and that's is broken :-(
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/assistant/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic