You can play music, videos and other media on your preferred speaker, smart display or TV without saying the device's name. You can set a default playback device for each speaker, smart display and Smart Clock.
Supported devices for media playback
You can set any device linked to yourself or any home member as a preferred playback device.TVs
- Android TV devices
- TVs with Chromecast Built-In
- Chromecast Audio
- Speakers with Chromecast Built-In
- Speakers with Google Assistant
- Smart displays with Google Assistant
- Lenovo Smart Clock
- To set a default playback device for a speaker, smart display or Smart Clock, you must be a member of the same home as that Google Assistant device. Learn how to manage home members.
- Podcasts and news playbacks are not supported on some speakers and TVs. Instead, they will play locally on your Google Assistant device.
Set a default speaker, smart display or TV
In the Google Home app
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app .
- At the bottom, tap Home .
- Select your device.
- At the top right, tap Device settings .
- Choose a default playback device:
- For music and audio: Tap Default music speaker. If you don’t find “Default speaker", first tap Audio.
- For videos: Tap Default TV. If you don’t find “Default TV", first tap Display.
- Select your default playback device.
In the Google Assistant app
- On your Android phone or tablet, say "Hey Google, open Assistant settings".
- Tap Devices your speaker, smart display or Smart Clock.
- Set a default playback device:
- For music and audio: Tap Default music speaker the speaker, smart display or TV.
- For videos: Tap Default TV the smart display or TV.
- To reset your default device, tap Reset.
- To play media on a device other than your preferred playback device, say "Hey Google, play [media] on [device]”. Learn more voice commands for music, videos and other media.