The new Google Assistant is built into your phone and apps, which makes it easier to complete tasks. You can text, call, get answers, look up directions, and do more with just your voice.
To use the new Google Assistant, you need a Pixel 4 and up with:
- The Google app with version 10.73 and up.
- Google Play services.
- The Assistant language set to English (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Singapore), French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish.
Talk to your new Google Assistant
- Use your voice or phone:
- Voice: Say "Hey Google" or "Ok Google."
- Squeeze: Squeeze the bottom half of your phone. Learn how to squeeze your phone.
- Important: Active Edge is only available on Pixel 4.
- Swipe: Swipe up from the bottom left or right corner of your phone. Learn how to gesture on your phone.
- Tap: In the search bar, tap the Assistant .
- Ask a question or say a command. For example, you can say "What’s the weather today?" or "Set a timer for 10 minutes."
- Listen to the answer.
Continue the conversation
- On your phone, say "Hey Google" and ask your question or say a command.
- Listen to the answer.
- To continue the conversation, ask another question or say a command.
Learn how to use Google Assistant to have a conversation on Pixel 4.
What you can ask
Take pictures, open apps, change your settings, and get answers. For example:
- "Turn on Bluetooth."
- "Take a screenshot."
- "Take a selfie."
- "Go to John Legend on Twitter."
- "Help me speak Spanish."
- "Start a voice recording."
- "Search Wikipedia for Henry VIII."
Get more examples of what you can ask.
Open Google Assistant settings
- Say "Hey Google, open Assistant settings" or on your phone, go to Settings Apps & Notifications Assistant See all Assistant settings.
- At the top, you’ll find popular settings.
- To search for a specific setting: At the top, tap Search settings.
If you don’t see the moving lights at the bottom of your screen, you have an older version of the Assistant. To get the new Google Assistant, check this info:
For the new Google Assistant to work, confirm you have these settings:
- The Assistant language is set to English (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Singapore), French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish. Learn how to change the language you use with Google Assistant.
- You use only one Assistant language. If you have a second Assistant language, remove it.
- You don’t use a third-party launcher.