Use Google Assistant & suggestions in Messages
You can see and act on suggestions related to your conversation with Google Assistant, Smart Reply, and suggested actions. Learn more about how these features work with your data.
Get info related to your conversation
- Use suggestions: Messages can show you suggestions to get more info from the Google Assistant about movies, restaurants, and more. To get more info, tap a suggestion to open Google Assistant.
- Search for help with the Google Assistant: To look up info from the Google Assistant in your conversation, open a conversation and tap Attach . Next to Google Assistant, tap an option to get suggestions.
- Ask the Google Assistant for help: To get info from the Google Assistant in your conversation, open a conversation and touch and hold the Home button, or say “Hey Google.” You can say something like, “Movies nearby.”
- Reply and share quickly with Smart Reply and suggested actions: At the bottom of a conversation, you might see Smart Reply suggestions or suggested actions based on recent messages. To send a suggested reply, tap a word or phrase. You can’t edit these replies. To complete a suggested action, tap the action.
- With the Google Assistant, you might be able to share results back in the conversation. If available, tap Send to [chat].
- You might be charged for data when you use Smart Reply or Google Assistant Suggestions. Check with your carrier for details.
Turn Suggestions in chat on or off
You can decide which suggestions to get within your conversations.
- Open the Messages app .
- At the top right, tap More Settings.
- Tap Suggestions in chat.
- Turn Assistant suggestions on or off.
- Turn Smart Reply on or off.
- Turn Suggested actions on or off.
Note: If you don’t see “Assistant suggestions” in your settings, your device doesn’t support the Assistant feature.