When you set up your Google Assistant, you may be asked to turn on certain settings.
Settings you may be asked to turn on
To provide you with the full Assistant experience, your Assistant may ask you to turn on these settings:
- Web & App Activity, which includes your activity on Google sites and apps. This info helps your Assistant provide more personalized experiences and suggestions. Some commands like "tell me a story" won't work if this setting is off.
- Voice & audio recordings, which records your voice and audio on Google services to improve speech recognition.
When you turn on these settings, you turn them on for your Assistant and other Google services you use.
- You can call a business or phone number
- You can’t call one of your contacts
- You can navigate to an address
- You can’t say “navigate home” or “navigate to work”
- You can’t use your voice to cast music to your speaker or TV
- You can set an alarm
- You can’t set a reminder or add an event to your calendar
How to turn these settings on or off
Follow these steps:
- On your device, go to your Google Account activity controls. You might need to sign in to your account.
- Turn these settings on or off:
- Web & App Activity
- Voice & audio recordings
- App info from your devices
- Contact info from your devices
- Web & App Activity
- What’s on your screen. On some devices, like Android phones, Android tablets, and ChromeOS laptops, you can ask your Assistant to show you info related to what’s on your screen. For example, if there’s a movie title on your screen, you can find info about the cast members.
- Voice Match, available on some devices, which lets your Assistant and the Google app recognize your voice. When this setting is on:
- Multiple people can enroll on shared devices
- Your Assistant can use your voice to access your personal results like calendar (if you turn on the Personal Results setting)
Delete your Google Assistant activity
If your Assistant has access to your Google Account and your Web & App Activity is turned on, your interactions with your Assistant will be saved to your account’s My Activity page. Learn how to delete your Google Assistant activity any time.
We'll continue to improve the usefulness of the Google Assistant over time, and part of this is through learning from past activity with the Google Assistant.
If you interact with the Google Assistant, we may use these interactions to deliver more useful ads. You can delete past interactions with your Assistant at any time.
Learn how to control the ads you see.