With auto read, you can hear and respond to new messages as they come in. When your drive ends, auto read turns off until your next drive.
Important: This feature is available in English for the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States
Hear messages automatically
Important: To hear your messages automatically, you must turn on notifications for the Google app.
- Before you start to drive, turn on Google Assistant driving mode.
- Say “Hey Google, turn on auto read.”
- When you get a new message, Google Assistant reads it.
- When Google Assistant reads your messages, any other media pauses then resumes.
- When your drive ends, auto read turns off until your next drive.
Respond to messages
- After Google Assistant reads a message, say “Hey Google, reply.”
- Say your message.
- Google Assistant confirms the message with you and sends it.
Turn auto read on or off
- To stop: Say “Turn off auto read” or “Stop reading my messages.”
- To resume: Say “Turn on auto read."
Tip: Auto read pauses sometimes, like when you’re on a call or when Maps gives directions.
What Google Assistant reads
- New messages from your contacts
- Skips messages from unknown senders
- Asks before it reads long messages
- New messages from group conversations