AppSheet Automation enables reusability, allowing you to build components once and reuse them in various automations to save time and accelerate development. You can create events, processes, tasks, and actions that can be reused in other components. For example, you can reuse actions and tasks within new processes, reuse events and processes within new bots, and so on.
Manage component reuse as described in the following sections:
- Enable or disable automation component reuse
- Reuse an automation component
- View the linked components
- View all reusable and non-reusable components
- Edit or delete a reusable component
- Disable reusability for an automation component
Automation component reuse is:
- Disabled by default when you create a component within a bot.
- Enabled by default when you create a component from the automation tab (for example, Automation > Processes).
When configuring an automation component from the relevant tab (for example, Automation > Tasks), you can enable reuse by expanding the Linking panel and enabling the Linking setting, as shown:
Similarly, when configuring an automation component within a bot, you can enable reuse by expanding the Linking panel and enabling the Linking setting in the Settings pane, as shown:
To disable automation component reuse, disable the toggle.
When you enable automation component reuse, that component will be included as a suggestion when adding components to your bots..
For example, when adding a new task to a process, the relevant reusable automation components are listed as suggestions:
View the linked components that are currently using the current component in the Linking panel.
For example, in the component Settings pane, you can:
- View the number of linked components in the linking lozenge
- Expand the Linking panel to view the full list of linked components
- Click a linked component to navigate to it in the relevant component tab
View all reusable and non-reusable components on the relevant tabs (such as, Automation > Processes).
Reusable components display the number of linked components in the linking lozenge. Non-reusable components do not display the lozenge. To show only reusable components, click Hide not linked. Then, to show all components, including non-reusable components, click Show all.
When editing or deleting a reusable component, your changes affect all linked components. Ensure that your changes do not negatively impact the operation of the linked components.
If you try to delete a reusable component that is used by one or more bots, AppSheet will prompt you to confirm the operation. For example:
To disable reusability:
- When editing a component on its relevant tab (such as, Automation > Tasks), expand the component, expand the Linking panel, and disable the Linking toggle.
- When editing a component within a bot, expand the Linking panel in the Settings pane, and disable the Linking toggle.