AppSheet does its best to automatically order columns by their importance. If you’re using a detail, form, or table view, you can manually control the column order.
AppSheet automatically orders columns using the following rules:
- Rule 1. AppSheet always shows the key because by definition it uniquely identifies each row. Without the key, it is unclear which data entry is being shown. If the key is hidden (by disabling the Show? toggle in the editor), AppSheet does not show the key and instead shows the data left to right. See What is a key?
- Rule 2. Next AppSheet shows any fields that call for actionable icons (such as a phone number, email address, and so on). AppSheet assumes these items are things you'd want a quick click action on.
- Rule 3. Then AppSheet proceeds left to right in spreadsheet column order. Position the more important columns to the left in your spreadsheet.
- Rule 4. Many spreadsheets have a rightmost column that is computed by a formula-- such as, cost of items. If AppSheet recognizes this pattern, it makes sure to include this column.
To manually control the column order:
- Open the app in the editor.
- Go to the UX > Views pane.
- Expand the view you want to edit.
- In the Column order field, click Add to add columns that you want to display in the order you want them to appear.
- If you want to control the order of a subset of columns, but include all columns, you can add an **all other columns** at the desired location.
Ref(to indicate that it isn't actually shown using a view button but only displayed when referenced), and define its column order as well.