The lessons included in the Applied Digital Skills curriculum can be shared with your Google Classroom account.
Use Google Classroom to:
- Manage your classes and rosters
- Create and grade assignments
- Collect student work
Use Applied Digital Skills to:
- Browse for digital skills lessons
- Deliver lessons through provided videos
- Track which videos students have watched
- Check for comprehension
The first step to using the Applied Digital Skills lessons with your Google Classroom profile is to connect your two accounts.
- Sign in to Applied Digital Skills as a teacher.
- Navigate to your Profile.
- Under Google Classroom, click Get Started.
- Click Connect with Classroom.
- Follow the steps on the screen.
- From your dashboard, click Create class.
- Choose classes from Google Classroom to import.
- Click Import.
Instructions for students joining an Applied Digital Skills class imported from Google Classroom.
Students will not receive an email or a class code directing them to a class. Instead, students should:
1. Visit the Applied Digital Skills website.
2. Click Sign in. If this is your first time signing in, you will see a page asking you about which role you are. Click on the "I'm a student or learner" option.
3. Accept the invitation when prompted after signing in.
When you import a class from Google Classroom, all students and co-teachers are automatically invited to your class in Applied Digital Skills.
To join your class, they must sign into Applied Digital Skills with the Google account they use for your Google Classroom class and accept your invitation. They will not receive an email or a class code directing them to your class.
After students join your class, you'll be able to track their progress as they watch videos and complete assessments on Applied Digital skills.
When co-teachers join your class, they'll be able to do everything you can with that class, including viewing student progress.
To make changes to your student or co-teacher roster:
- Add or remove students or co-teachers in Google Classroom.
- Navigate to your class in Applied Digital Skills.
- Open the People page for that class.
- On the right side, click Import changes.
- Navigate to the lessons page on Applied Digital Skills.
- Click on a lesson that you'd like to assign to your class.
- Click Add to class.
- Choose the classes you'd like to assign this lesson to, then click Next.
- Click Create Google Classroom assignments.
- Make changes as needed to the assignment, then click Assign.
This lesson will now show up inside Google Classroom as an assignment, and in your Applied Digital Skills dashboard so that you can track your student's progress as they watch the videos in the lesson. You can edit the assignment in Google Classroom after you've created it.
August 2023 Updates
Applied Digital Skills spent part of the summer improving our Google Classroom integration. These updates may feel subtle but should hopefully enhance your experience when using both products together.
⚠️These updates only apply to Applied Digital Skills classes that are connected to Google Classroom.
Invitations no longer need to be accepted by students
Previously, when you had an Applied Digital Skills class that was connected to Google Classroom, students needed to accept an invitation upon signing in to Applied Digital Skills. This is no longer the case.
Now, when students sign in to Applied Digital Skills, they will be directed to their dashboard where their class is visible and available to access. That’s it! Please Note: this assumes all students have successfully joined their Classroom class ahead of time.
Applied Digital Skills Roster will automatically sync every 24 hours
Previously, if a teacher updated their Google Classroom roster, they would have to manually “import changes” to their Applied Digital Skills roster.
Now, your Applied Digital Skills roster will automatically sync with your Classroom roster every 24 hours. If you want changes to be reflected sooner, you can still manually select the option to “import changes” to your Applied Digital Skills roster.
Error messaging when a roster does not sync properly
Previously, if some students and/or co-teachers did not sync from Classroom to Applied Digital Skills, you would have to manually cross check the two rosters to see who did not carry over, or wait for a student to tell you they couldn’t access your Applied Digital Skills class.
Now, when you import a class from Google Classroom, all students and co-teachers are automatically added to your Applied Digital Skills class (as long as they have accepted your initial invitation to join your Classroom class). If a subset of students fail to sync, Applied Digital Skills will surface an error message so you can fix the issue. Here are two reasons why a student account from Classroom might not sync with Applied Digital Skills:
- The student is using a personal gmail account with Classroom. Applied Digital Skills will not work if students are using a personal gmail account. They must use a Google Workspace for Education student account.
- The student (or co-teacher) never accepted the initial invitation to join your Classroom class. If this is the case, students will not appear in Applied Digital Skills at all. They need to accept their initial invitation to Classroom first.