What still works when you leave your phone behind
Some of your watch’s features will continue to work even if you leave your phone behind.
Connected to the Internet over Wi-Fi
If your watch supports Wi-Fi, it can stay connected to your phone at any distance when they're both connected to the Internet. To stay connected to your phone, turn on and connect to Wi-Fi on your watch.
Not all watches can connect to Wi-Fi. Try turning on Wi-Fi on your watch. If you don’t see Wi-fi settings under “Settings” on your watch, it’s not available on your watch.
Not connected to the phone or Internet
If you see the , your watch is not connected to your phone. This can happen when you are away from your phone if:
- Your watch does not support Wi-Fi
- Your watch supports Wi-Fi but is not connected to a Wi-Fi network
- Your phone is off
- Your phone is not connected to the Internet
If your watch and phone aren’t connected over the Internet
You can still use some basic features on the watch:
- Tell time and see the date
- Set an alarm
- Use the stopwatch
- Use the timer
- View your calendar for today
- See your step count
- See your heart rate (if your watch has this feature)
- Change your watch face
- Put your watch in airplane mode
- Listen to music through your watch
Note: You won’t be able to use voice actions.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.