Use your phone as a remote control for Android TV
You can navigate your Android TV using your phone or tablet with the Android TV Remote Control app.
Note: You need an iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.0 or higher to use the Android TV Remote Control app.
Set up the remote control app
Tip: On your device, download and install the Android TV Remote Control app from Google Play or the App Store if you haven’t already.
- Make sure your device is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Android TV.
- On your device, open the Android TV Remote Control app .
- On your device, tap the name of your Android TV.
- On your TV screen, you’ll see a PIN. Enter this PIN on your device.
- On your device, tap Pair.
Note: You can also set up the app using Bluetooth.
Change the remote layout
You can choose from two layouts for your remote. To change the layout, tap Menu D-pad or Touchpad.
- Standard remote layout (D-pad)
- To move up, down, right, and left: Tap the arrows.
- To select: Tap the center circle.
- Touch-sensitive layout (Touchpad)
- To move up, down, right, and left: Swipe on your device’s screen.
- To select: Tap anywhere on your device’ screen.
Fix problems using the remote control app
If your app won’t work with your Android TV, try these troubleshooting steps.