Use your phone as a remote control for Android TV
You can navigate your Android TV using your phone or tablet with the Android TV Remote Control app.
Note: You need an iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.0 or higher to use the Android TV Remote Control app.
Set up the remote control app
Tip: On your device, download and install the Android TV Remote Control app from Google Play or the App Store if you haven’t already.
- Make sure your device is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Android TV.
- On your device, open the Android TV Remote Control app .
- On your device, tap the name of your Android TV.
- On your TV screen, you’ll see a PIN. Enter this PIN on your device.
- On your device, tap Pair.
Note: You can also set up the app using Bluetooth.
Change the remote layout
You can choose from two layouts for your remote. To change the layout, tap Menu D-pad or Touchpad.
- Standard remote layout (D-pad)
- To move up, down, right, and left: Tap the arrows.
- To select: Tap the center circle.
- Touch-sensitive layout (Touchpad)
- To move up, down, right, and left: Swipe on your device’s screen.
- To select: Tap anywhere on your device’ screen.
Fix problems using the remote control app
If your app won’t work with your Android TV, try these troubleshooting steps.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.