Set up your Android TV and remote
After you get your Android TV, you’ll need to set it up and connect your remote.
Before you start
Check that you have:
- One TV or monitor that has HDMI ports and supports HDCP
- One HDMI cable
- A Wi-Fi internet connection
- A Google Account
Step 1: Connect your Android TV
- Turn off your TV or monitor.
- Use your HDMI cable to connect your Android TV to your TV or monitor.
- Plug your Android TV into an outlet. You’ll see a white light on the bottom of the device.
Step 2: Pair your remote
- Turn on your TV or monitor.
- Press the Source or Input button until you see an image of a TV, a remote, and a timer.
- For 5 seconds, press and hold Back + Home .
After you successfully pair your remote, you’ll see a check mark on the screen.
Learn what to do if your remote won’t pair with your Nexus Player.
- If you're not sure how to control your Android TV, learn how to use your Android TV remote.
- After you connect to Wi-Fi, you can use your phone or tablet as a remote.
Step 3: Set up your Android TV
To finish set up, follow the onscreen instructions. You can also find out how to use an Android phone or tablet to set up your device.
Turn on the screen reader
If you’re vision-impaired, you can turn on the Talkback screen reader. After you’re asked to choose your language, press and hold Back . After 7 seconds, TalkBack will turn on.