About smart tap
Android Pay’s smart tap technology lets customers use loyalty cards, gift cards, and offers saved to Android Pay by simply holding their phones to NFC point-of-sale terminals.
Smart tap makes the buying process quicker and easier for everyone:
- Customers don’t have to physically carry their cards or offers or remember to enter their phone numbers at checkout
- Cashiers don’t have to scan plastic loyalty cards or barcodes from customers’ phones
Smart tap for redemption
During transactions in stores, customers tap their phones on an NFC-enabled point-of-sale terminal to apply their loyalty account number, gift card information, or offers. You can choose if they can pay and use their loyalty points, gift card, or offers in one or 2 taps:
- One tap: If you want smart tap set up to let customers use “one tap” on terminals, customers will send their payment data and apply their loyalty cards, gift cards, and offers with just one tap of their phone on the terminal. With one tap of their phone, whenever customers buy with Android Pay, their loyalty cards, gift cards, and offers are applied.
- 2 taps: If you choose to have smart tap require “2 taps” on terminals, customers will have their loyalty cards, gift cards, and offers applied to their purchase with the first tap of their phone, and send their payment data in a second tap on the terminal. Merchants can have smart tap set up to require 2 taps if offers will change the total transaction price and you want customers to know that before they pay.
Push items to customers during purchases
Smart tap can also be set up to push helpful items to customers’ phones during and after transactions. You can:
- Help customers easily save their loyalty card to Android Pay. When a customer enters their phone number or scans a physical card to apply their loyalty points, etc, then taps to buy with Android Pay, you can use smart tap to let them save their loyalty card to Android Pay. The customer will use their digital loyalty card with Android Pay after that and won’t have to remember to carry their physical card anymore.
- Push offers to customers after they buy with Android Pay. Smart tap can be used to send customers offers to use during that purchase or in the future.
- Let customers join your loyalty program. Learn more about how to use smart tap to enroll new loyalty members.
Become a smart tap partner
More partners are using this technology everyday as we expand the release of smart tap, but it’s not available yet in all areas for all partners. If you’d like to be considered to use smart tap in your stores, fill out this interest form and we’ll contact you if it's right for you.