Add a payment method
Watch this video to learn how to add a card to Android Pay.
You can add cards to Android Pay on the app. You can also edit or remove a card you already added.
Before you get started
Double-check the list of participating banks and supported services to make sure your card is supported. If your card is not yet supported, contact your bank and request support for Android Pay.
Add a card or other payment method
You can add one or multiple payment methods to Android Pay.
- Open the Android Pay app.
- If you have multiple Google Accounts in Android Pay: At the top left of the app, tap Profile or your photo, then choose the account you want to add a card to.
- At the bottom right, tap Add .
- Tap Add a credit or debit card.
- To add a different payment method, tap Add other payment methods and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Use the camera to capture your card info or enter it yourself.
- If you’re asked to verify your payment method, choose a verification method from the list.
- Find and enter the verification code.
Note: After you try adding a card, you might see a small temporary charge on your account from Android Pay. This charge is used to verify that your card and account are valid. It won’t affect your balance and will disappear soon after.
With eligible cards from participating banks, you'll keep getting all the security, benefits, and rewards with Android Pay as you do with your credit or debit card.
For all other cards, some benefits and rewards might not be applied when you use Android Pay, like merchant-specific rewards (e.g. double points at a specific merchant with a specific card). Contact your bank for more information.
Note: You won’t be charged a fee for using Android Pay.
Note: This feature is only available in the US.
Topping up your Paypal balance
When your Paypal balance runs out, money is added to your Paypal balance from a debit card or a bank account linked to your Paypal account. The default amount is $20 but you can choose another amount.
Note: If your purchase is more than your balance, a multiple of your top up amount will be added to your account.
About your Paypal PIN
Some stores and websites may ask for your Paypal in-store PIN. Your default PIN is the last four digits of your virtual card number. Change your Paypal in-store PIN.
When you need to unlock your phone to pay
You only need to wake up your phone, not unlock it, for purchases under $50.
"This card can’t be added"
If you see the error message "This card can’t be added" or have other issues adding a card, check to make sure the payment method is on the list of participating banks and supported services. If you tried to add a card that isn’t on the list, you’ll get an email when your card is supported.
If your payment method is on the list but you’re still unable to add the card:
- Double-check that you entered the card information correctly.
- Make sure the address you use on the account isn’t a P.O. Box. Android Pay doesn’t support cards P.O. Box billing addresses.