If you’ve been using the Android Auto app on your phone screen, you’ll need to switch to Google Assistant’s driving mode, a new integrated driving experience. If your car is compatible with Android Auto, you can still connect directly to your car’s display.  Learn about other ways Google is ready to make your drive better.

/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Android Auto frequently disconnects or won't connect at all.
I have a Galaxy S10+ and quite often, android auto will disconnect from simply making a turn. This has been happening frequently with each app update. Other times, the app will not launch when I connect the cable to my phone. I've tried turning off the phone and turning it back on as well as turning off the car and turning it back on again to get android auto to work again, but this has no effect. Most recently, I started the car and connected the cable to the phone. I didn't even leave the parking space, and just a second later, connection to Android auto was lost. 

This has been happening more frequently since the various app updates over time. I have not previously had this many issues with Android auto. I really don't want to have a bunch of data cables in my car to switch out each time I can't get the app to work.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
My phone has been randomly disconnecting for months and I've tried changing the cable and even bought a new phone,  but it still did it. I recently enabled the "Use Bluetooth" option in the Android Auto app settings and that seemed to fix the issue for me. I had previously disabled it because Android Auto disables Bluetooth anyway when it's connected; Honestly, I'm not really sure why that option even exists. But it has been a few days and my Android auto hasn't disconnected. I just drove for 3 hours and it was on the whole time. I'm hoping it lasts.
marked this as an answer
All Replies (80)
Relevant Answer
Hi Charlie, 

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you help us with the below details for further investigation : 
  • Error message: if available  
  • When did the issue start happening? Was there any update of apps or Android OS?:
  • Car / head unit make & model: if you use Android Auto on your car display
  • Phone make & model:
  • Android OS version:
  • Android Auto app version:
  • Google Play services version: (Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google Play services)
Connectivity issues can occur due to several factors (e.g. car, phone, USB cable, software, etc) that can affect the performance of Android Auto. We recommend trying the troubleshooting steps on this FAQ thread to help with your experience.

If the issue still persists, you can fill out this Contact us form for further assistance.

Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There is occasionally a "smartphone connection error" but that is often resolved with simply unplugging the cable and plugging it back in. 

Phone is Galaxy S10+ with Android 10.

Car is a subaru crosstrek (2018) with original factory radio.

Google play services version is 20.50.14

Android auto used to work without any issues using existing cables, but it has gotten worse after app updates. Once the connection to Android auto is lost, it rarely comes back by simply reinserting the cable. What does bring it back online is turning the car off for about 10 minutes and then trying Android auto again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I actually have the same problem, same phone. Car is 2017 VW Passau with vw-connect. Here's whats different and really weird, after disconnecting it will start to work after hitting the option to connect again on the cars screen three times, it will always reconnect on the third attempt.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have same issues i have 2020 dodge ram and using s10 galaxy and I ise maps alot and the screen on truck goes black and the only way to bring my maps up again is to unplug my s10 and then maps will display. But this problem can happen 4 times on a 30 minute trip.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My experience is the same. The app drops out, disconnects or sometimes won't recognize the apps. I have to unplug and plug back in the phone. Sometimes I have to restart the phone. I have tried new cables but it made no difference. I would say it works @ 50% of the time. 

When it works it is great. Almost as good as the Apple product. But that is only half the time. Please make it work programming gods. 

2020 Honda Ridgeline. Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5g
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem - Peugeot 3008 (191), Redmi 9A phone
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem 2020 VW tiguian
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My AA disconnects after 10 minutes (never fails) if i use Waze or google maps in navigation mode. If i do not do navigation it works just fine. If i play media while navigating it works fine. but if i navigate and nothing else it disconnects after 10 minutes. I tried power settings on the phone, nothing appears to make a difference. I noticed the issue May 2020 when i came back from an extended trip.

Car: 2018 Kia Sedona
phone: Samsung S8
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue,  but we randomly get the error message "Device not supported." S10s and drive a 2020 Pacifica
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Started 1-2 weeks ago after another update. 2021 Acura TLX and  S20 Ultra.... my phone disconnects at the slightest touch, turn of the car, or for no reason at all. half the time it doesn't connect at all. ive tried different cables, turning my phone on and off, turning my car off and on, and NOTHING helps. I even just got a new replacement phone cus i broke my other one and the SAME stuff is going on. I have cleared cache in android auto, assistant, google, play services, nothing. What is going on?
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/androidauto/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic