/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Android auto keeps disconnecting radio and reverting to media. Anyway to fix this?
Disconnecting and reconnecting
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (54)
Relevant Answer
Hi Jim,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Connectivity issues can occur due to several factors (car, phone, USB cable, software, etc) that can affect the performance of Android Auto. We recommend trying the troubleshooting steps on this FAQ thread to help with your experience.

If the issue still persists, you can fill out this Contact us form for further assistance. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also having the same issue.  It has recently cropped up.  I'm using a Samsung S20 FE and it appears that AA is baked into the OS so I can't uninstall and reinstall.  This latest issue is making AA difficult as I can't listen to my radio when I'm using AA for navigation.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having exactly the same problem in my Honda. I can now have navigation OR radio, but not both at once. This is really frustrating! How can I revert to the previous version (that didn't have auto darkening of the screen)?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I should have added that my phone is a Samsung A20 which also doesn't seem to allow uninstall and reinstall of AA.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes I also have this very annoying problem.  It started happening about a month ago.  Prior to this I had No problems for 18 months.  I own a 2019 Hyundai Kona & a Motorola G5S phone.  I've replaced my usb cable, factory reset both the Infotainment (vehicle) & Mobile phone.  Problem still remains.  Phone has Android 8.1 & all the latest updates
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ich habe auch folgendes Problem.
Ich schalte meine Anlage ein und das Radio ist in Betrieb.
In dem Moment, wo ich das Smartphone mit Android Auto
am USB Anschluss einstecke, kann ich kein Radio mehr hören, sondern nur 
noch NAVI, oder andere Apps nutzen.
Ist das bei Android Auto normal, oder ist das ein Fehler.
Habe das Auto erst eine Woche und weiß damit nicht, wie es richtig sein soll.
Bitte helft mir und schreibt mir was ich falsch mache, denn sowas stört doch gewaltig.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have started having an audio problem in the last week or so. Android Auto DISABLES my car's audio upon connection. I have to hit play on an audio app to "kick start" audio again, then I can switch BACK to the car's audio system for FM or AM.

This was not a problem until mid-December.

2016 Civic and Samsung Galaxy 10
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The silence is deafening. No solution to my original post?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've the same issue, too, once I got my OnePlus 8T with Android 11. Either randomly disconnects or subsequent uses of Android Auto permanently silence my car audio. Every time I need to restart Android Auto, I need to force stop it first. This is whether or not it automatically disconnects.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue loosing the radio and AA connecting. Having to connect radio via internet. If I use the radio then I cant charge or use AA features.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a Kenwood DMX9720. If I am listening to terrestrial radio and the phone receives a call or text message, after the call or text the radio does not return. Only option is to ensure all media playback is off. Radio source selected, and then power down the head unit. This fixes it until the next phone call.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I use S20 Ultra 5G with my 2019 Corsa for AA and still getting very irritating radio swith off by app - media takes over even after turning it off in AA settings in phone Apps as advised! Come on AA pls get bug sorted!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have same problem in my VW Golf 2017 and Galaxy S9.
When AA is running and I adjust the car radio volume it is locked only to adjust volume of AA even when the car radio menu is shown on the display.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Do you have/use tunein radio on your AA... Perhaps that application is causing a bug recently ... try to uninstall Tunein and use Android auto... I tried this today and it has been working fine for quite some time now... I hope it remains so.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also having this issue  when I plug in my Pixel 4a5g via USB to our 2018 Honda crv. The vehicles audio is  on if but when my phone screen locks it cuts off all car audio if I unlock the phone it come back on. Any solutions?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey this just started happening on my 2020 vehicle + Pixel 3 XL. It was working fine about two weeks ago. And now I'm seeing the same issue as Nick Kraft.

AA is intercepting all my audio--I can't listen to the radio. If I hit play on Spotify in AA, then I switch back to FM radio, the sound is back. But the next time I turn on my phone while connected, audio is dead again.

Or the sound will work while the phone is turned on, then once it auto-locks, audio is fully cut.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue started happening to me, VW Golf GTI. Head unit radio only works if the phone (Pixel 3) is unlocked or disconnected from the car, obviously completely defeating the purpose of Android Auto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same issue started happening with my after market Pioneer head unit. If I plug in my phone and start AA, and radio source other than AA cuts off after a short while.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for comments - my issue is deffo where radio disconnects when Android Audio is on in my 69 reg Corsa via my S20 Ultra 5G!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Do you have/use tunein radio on your AA... Perhaps that application is causing a bug recently ... try to uninstall Tunein and use Android auto... I tried this today and it has been working fine for quite some time now... I hope it remains so.

Additional update after 4 days - AA is working like a charm.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's really odd how this issue of media switching off radio & taking over arose - as was after app running fine for a year then suddenly playing up a few weeks ago - maybe after several software updates?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pawan, Has there been a new thread started?  If so where can I see it?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Nick,

We are monitoring this thread for "radio disconnect" issue.
We request you to open a new thread for any other issue so we can then follow up with your issue and redirect users with similar reports to your thread. It becomes easy to communicate any available updates for a specific issue at one place.
Hope you understand. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for that - I'm still finding AA media keeps overriding the basic radio setting when AA is loaded up thus meaning cannot listen to live radio properly when S20 Ultra 5G plugged into 2019 Corsa USB! Very disappointing espec when Apple Play from daughters iPhone works fine with no issues!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have been having the 3 issues reiterated by Pawan.  They all occur at different times.  Often if I unplug my phone then plug it back in a couple times the problem will go away until the next time I turn my car on and plug my phone in.  This has only been occurring for me over the last 2 months or so.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
A reddit user has found that removing the last updates to the Google app has at least resolved the problem with the radio getting muted. Give it a try:

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pls post link here as my Help email login is not used at all Jim
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi again sorry but bug report creation details have disappeared! Cheers Jim
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please resend email bug report detailed instructions as they seem to have disappeared! Cheers Jim
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
  • La radio si disconnette quando è collegata ad Android Auto
  • Radio non udibile durante la navigazione
  • La radio diventa silenziosa quando il telefono è bloccato
Ho questi problemi! Confermo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
In addition to radio silence, I can't hear any media (I've only tried listening to pocket casts) through AA either.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
  • Radio disconnects when connected to Android Auto
I am having same issue on my note 8 and S21 where the media does not work once connected to my 2021 Kia telluride.  I have to cycle through media every time I connect to get radio to work.  Very frustrating.  It worked fine for 8 months until I did a factory refresh on Note 8.  My spouses Note 10 has no problem at all.  I have become so frustrated that I purchased a brand new S21 which again did not help.  I did copy everything from Note 8 and wonder if some bug or setting was also copied.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too! I use AA for navigation and reading and sending texts so I need my phone plugged into my car (plus for changing) yet as little as EVERY 10 SECONDS it overrides my in car radio and switches to listen to AA S10. I NEVER listen to any music on my phone. Only ever radio. So if it's on ANYTHING but the radio screen on my car I can't change it back WHICH IS EXTREMELY DRISTRACTIVE driving! Having to hit "radio" over AAS10 every 10 seconds. So I have to Unplug my phone and now it's not charging! It's not navigating,  it's not reading my messages. THATS THE POINT OF AA 
It's been going on since beginning of March with your latest horrible update. FIX NOW 
I wrote a 1 star review but no one answered. 
Thanks for wrecking a perfectly functional app. 
Glad,  but sorry to hear SO MANY others having this problem and you doing nothing to fix it and the distracted driving is making
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
2021 Ram 1500 with Note 10+.  With Android Auto connected, I lose the ability to listen to radio (AM/FM/Sirius). If I click on the phone itself and click on a Google Search shortcut, AA and AM/FM/Sirius work in harmony.  It's like AA is trying to constantly listen or something and is stuck, I dunno.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Is there a fix out there ???
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue.  Android Auto worked good until late 2020, then radio is blocked when using AA.   2018 Durango GT with Samsung 10e.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here with a 2017 Honda CR-V. Android Auto disconnects radio.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue with Toyota Yaris - car radio cuts out after 1 min with Android auto
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Had started working fine for several weeks then went back to same problem last Sunday, 23-May-2021. Radio stops several seconds after AA starts. Seems to freeze radio. Cannot change station. Must change audio source to something else to get audio again. Audio from phone works entire time.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Support my coutry
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just started getting this issue. No update that i can see was made to AA. I am using AA Wireless and when my phone connects to my GMC stock Head Unit it will pause FM or Sirius XM on the GMC Head Unit. If i unlock my phone it will allow the Stock Head unit to play audio again. IF my phone locks it will pause the Stock Head unit yet again and will not allow me to un pause. Only solution is to keep my phone awake. This is not ideal. Please fix. Let me know steps to produce a bug report for the AA team and i will gladly do so. I am willing to test solutions as well.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, same issue me. After AA is connected and phone is locked i can adjust volume on steering wheel just for "voice commands". Also car radio is working only if phone is unlocked and no app is opened. Phone has to be unlocked and on home screen! No app can be in foreground. Maybe it has to do something with Android 11? I started to have troubles after my POCO X3 received Android 11 update. Same on another Samsung A40 with Android 11.
At least can you give some workaround for us?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can confirm that uninstalling the latest update to the Google App (not AA) fixes this issue. Though not a perfect solution it will get someone by untill it is fixed for real.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem.  I hate Android Auto.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/androidauto/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic