/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
Google Assistant Lagging - Can someone help me troubleshoot?
When using Android Auto and calling the Google Assistant (either by voice or steering wheel button), I hear the beep for the assistant, and a few seconds later the assistant pops up on the head unit screen (1st example of lagging. It should beep and pop up close to the same time)
When performing commands that have long output (such as sending a text message), the Assistant typically cuts off midway through speaking and then a few seconds later the assistant is dismissed. The action is never executed. Then when calling the Assistant again, it immediately finishes speaking from where it was cut off.
  • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car’s display?
Car's Display. Android Auto on my phone screen works flawlessly.
  • Does the issue occur outside of Android Auto app?
No
  • Car / head unit make & model: if you use Android Auto on your car display
2018 Honda Civic
  • Phone make & model:
Pixel 2
  • Android OS version:
Android 10
  • Google app version: (Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google)
11.22.11.21.arm64
"Text Jennifer I'll be home in 10 minutes." 
"Here's your message to Jennifer, I'll be home in 10 min-"
*silence* then cuts out.
*prompt assistant again*
"utes. Do you want to send it or change it?"

Troubleshooting Steps so far:
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (19)
Relevant Answer
I'm hvaing the same problem everything with the Google assistant through android auto seems to take twice as long or it doesn't do anything

I'm using Samsung s10+ Google and android auto apps are updated to latest version
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think my problem is a bit similar. However in my case, the assistant hangs the whole unit when called with "hey google" or the steering control for a good 5-7 seconds and then it doesn't do anything.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too am suffering from the non-responsive Google assistant in my 2020 Chevy Silverado with my LG V20.
I have a cheaper truck with no steering wheel controls, so I have to press the microphone icon on the lower right part of the screen, and it rarely works properly.

- Sometimes the pop-up with the voice bars will appear, but the system doesn't make the acknowledgment beep to start talking.  It doesn't process my voice commands, and eventually the pop-up will close.

- Sometimes the pop-up with the voice bars will appear, and after a few seconds, the system makes the acknowledgment beep to start talking.  I issue my commands and it just hangs there for many more seconds.  Sometimes the pop-up just closes again.  Sometimes it processed my command.

- Sometimes it actually works properly.  I hit press the button, and immediately get the pop-up and the acknowledgment beep to start talking.  It then processes my command properly.

- When I first got the truck back in February, I swear that the "OK Google" detection worked, so I didn't have to press the microphone icon.  Now, the "OK Google" detection no longer works, even though it's enabled.

Not related, but I hate how the version of Waze in AA doesn't let me report gas station prices.  It's really limited in functionality as compared to the stand-alone version of Waze.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same exact problem. After I tell my assistant to send a message, the assistant will reply but cut off mid sentence. Then when I active the assistant again, it continues the sentence. Then when it asks if I would like to send or change the message, regardless of what I say, the assistant will turn off.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, exact same type of lag here.
Also, the touch input is a little bit laggy too. I noticed this when I tried car play and it much more responsive
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with Android 10. When I' m not using AA Assistant works well
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with my 2019 Honda Cr-V using a Samsung Note5.  Texting is absolutely impossible as the google voice prompt never shuts up. It talks over itself while asking me questions while still talking over itself and then me. Then out of nowhere it comes back with "Heres your text to chris: this damn android auto i'd like to smash it TEXT CHRIS I'LL BE HOME IN 10 MINS ... do you want to send it or change it?"  and if it doesn't do all that it just keeps cutting itself off while not actually listening to me.  it's so frustrating!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with cr-v 2017 and Pixel 3xl.
It's related to the audio changeling. If you stream a music from Android Auto and try to use your voice or button to activate the Google Assistant it will work fine, but if you switch to radio it will cause the issues you described. I the issue started with Android 10.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've had this same issue since November made many posts glad to see this one is listed as a known issue..
Mine is with a pixel 4xl
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same thing here, 2018 Honda Civic.

It will play out a text message and say "Do you want to reply". Then it will switch back to the music before it beeps for my reply. Once it says "What's the message" then it plays and records the music from Spotify instead of muting it for my message. So infuriating.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/androidauto/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic