/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Spotify songs cut out while listening through Android Auto
I'm having issues with streaming music (spotify, Google play, etc) via android auto in my 2019 Nissan Altima. Most songs will cut out for a split second all the way up to 10 seconds at some point while playing. The song progress bar keeps going though - it's just the audio that cuts out. Very annoying because I never had this issue with my previous car and I'm using the same phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) and cable as before.

I've tried reinstalling android auto and spotify a couple times and haven't had any luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10
Android Version: 9
Android Auto Version: 4.2.591444-release
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (519)
Relevant Answer
Try steps on the Spotify forum
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Spotify-keeps-cutting-out-across-all-of-my-devices-iphone-pc/m-p/1324505#M1505061
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
update - The Nissan dealer couldn't figure this out and told me to wait for the next firmware update for the infotainment unit in hopes it will fix it. I even upgraded my phone last week to the Galaxy s10 and the issue is still happening. Anybody else having this issue or have a resolution?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue and I believe this other thread is also for the same thing.

https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/3087436?hl=en

Note this isn't an issue with another device using or taking the Spotify stream.  If that happens, the song counter will stop and pressing play again will cause the car to 'take' the steam again. Also in that kind of situation if you look at the Spotify app directly on your phone it will show you that Spotify is playing on some other device.  In this situation Spotify app indicates Spotify in playing on the phone. 

Other info I added to the other thread as well:
"
I have the same issue with Spotify.  Although sometimes I'll just get no sound at all, song's time bar shows the song is playing though. The issue is intermittent, sometimes when I connect my phone to the car Spotify works fine.

Also if the issue is occurring and I switch to another Media App within Android Auto (AA) via car interface, sound works fine from alternate app (so it's not a cable issue).

After the issue has occurred trying the following sometimes works to get it to start playing:
1) Disconnect phone from car, force kill Spotify app, reconnect phone to car
2) Disconnect phone from car, open Spotify app, start playing a song, reconnect phone to car
3) Disconnect phone from car, reboot phone, reconnect phone to car
4) Disconnect phone from car, reboot phone, power cycle car, reconnect phone to car.

Note: There were times where numbers 1 to 3 did not work.

AA: 4.1.590944-release
Android: 8.0.0
Phone: OnePlus Three
Car: Chevrolet Volt 2018
Google Play Services: 16.0.89 (040400-239467275)
Using AA on Car’s Display
This issue only occurs in while using AA.
Spotify: 8.5.1.734
"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey thanks for the help. Unfortunately though this problem doesn't exist for just Spotify. It happens on Google Play Music too. So it has to be something wrong with the car's system or android auto I'm convinced. I've tried different methods of unplugging the phone/plugging it back in once the problem happens and that doesn't seems to do anything.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If anyone from the Android Auto team happens to check in on this post, perhaps you can shed some light on compatibility/performance with 2019 Nissan systems? Maybe this is something that could be fixed via android auto updates?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've been having the same issue with a 2019 Nissan Murano. Apple Carplay works flawlessly but Android Auto has issues with audio cutting out. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

One item of note is that the audio cutting out seems to be less frequent if I use waze instead of Google maps in android auto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here with Chevy no matter what music app
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Rajeev I installed Waze today and tried that during my commute instead of Google maps...wow this actually reduce the issue - I only noticed one song that had a very small skip that was barely noticeable. Not sure if this was dumb luck or if this truly makes a difference, so I'll keep using Waze throughout the week and update you guys on how that works out.

I guess the only other thing we can do is hope that the next Android Auto update will patch this issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just tried Waze for another day and it was fantastic in the morning, but the audio cut-out issue was as bad as ever in the evening. so clearly switching to Waze isn't a reliable solution
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a Seat and experience the same issue but with all music options, Google, Spotify, amazon. If I use GM then it cuts out, if I'm using Waze then it crashes AA totally. Sometime I need to stop, turn the engine off and remove the key and wait 20 mins to reconnect. 
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all and still happens. 
This is recent as it was all working a 2 weeks ago.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Got the new android auto software update today (4.2.591444-release) and the issue persists. I had a few songs cut out for about half a second during a 20 minute commute.

I've updated the original post with my phone, android version, and AA version info. android auto team - is there any other info you'd need or are you at least aware of this issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the exact same issue with my 2019 Nissan Qashqai tried it with two different phones (Pixel 3 and S10) and the issue is present on both.

I've noticed that the issue isn't present to the same degree when listening to podcasts in Pocketcast. But it's present in both Spotify and Google music. 

I've checked to see if there are any firmware updates available for the car but so far nothing . It's a very frustrating issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Google Play Music. The audio will simply cut out for anywhere between 1 and ~15 seconds at random. Below are my details.
  • Error message: None Shown
  • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car’s display? Car's Display
  • Does the issue occur outside of Android Auto app? No
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Altima SR, Software version 0702
  • Phone Make & Model: Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
  • Android OS version: 9
  • Android Auto app version: 4.2.591444-release
  • Google Play services version: 16.0.91 (100408-244116403)
  • Media app name & version: Google Play Music, v8.19.7938-1.M
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any solutions anyone? Still having the issue over here and am quite frustrated
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Nope, I've signed up to the Spotify beta program but no updates have fixed it yet. I'm convinced it's either something within the AA app or a bug in the Nissan firmware.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
At this point, I can only assume it's a coding problem and will need to be resolved by the Android Auto developers.

Having said that, I know they are releasing a 2019 "refresh" later this summer (shown off at Google I/O a few days ago). Maybe it will have some fixes?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Looked up those upcoming updates from the I/O. Looks cool but hopefully they remember to focus on fixing bugs while they're at this. I wouldn't be surprised if this update comes and it just creates more bugs
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I currently own a 2019 Nissan Altima and I use and Samsung galaxy s10 everything is updated to the latest version so it is kind of annoying to be experiencing this issue. I'm not sure if it's on Samsung's end or Nissan's end.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Nissan Qashqai took a firmware update last week. I was in the vein help that it might fix the issue but no luck. Still it might be worth checking to see if there is an update available for your cars.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've been checking for updates on my Altima entertainment system and I haven't had any luck unfortunately.

What I did for now was buy a cell phone mount and I put it right behind the screen on my Altima. I mount my phone in landscape view right above the screen and run android auto on the phone itself. this is working just fine for now. I run Waze/Maps on the phone and then on the car screen I  have the clock widget and music widget up, so I'm actually seeing more all at once. I don't mind it. the steering wheel voice control still works fine too so this isn't really sacrificing any features.

Hopefully we'll find some luck soon
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
EDIT: I found a workaround that has helped me. The issue happens after a play or stop command (as the assistant silences). If the music is playing and you say stop,it stops then plays. But I can issue commands, like "play Disturbed radio" and it would have no problem. I used tasker and autovoice. With tasker I created an event and selected the autovoice "recognized" option (autovoice is listed in the plugin category). I created a command for "music play". Then I created a task that had the " wait" action for 10 seconds (for me, from my headunit, by the time autovoice is done talking it's like 2 seconds to play). Then add another action to the task to play the music (ex use the "media" category and select media controls). Do the same thing for stop (I only had problems with play and stop). When I get in the car, I tell assistant to tell autovoice to "music play" then after a couple seconds the music plays from where I left off. I know tasker isn't for everyone, but this worked for me.

I'm having the same issue on my 2013 mustang using a Kenwood ddx9905s head unit. I have an og pixel running Android 9. The issue has been there since the unit was installed a week ago. I've tested with Spotify and Google play music. When I use the command "play music on Spotify" (for example), my wonderful British assistant (love that accent) confirms that she understood. As she stops talking the music starts to play (so her voice and the music are playing at the same time). Right after her voice stops, the music stops. "My activity" show's the play command. The issue only happens in the car.

Play services version 17.4.55

Android auto info:

Packages:
Maps: 10.17.2
Spotify: 8.5.8.567
Google Play Store: 15.0.14-all [0] [PR] 249706546
Google Play services: 17.4.55 (100400-248795830)
Google: 10.0.3.21.arm64
Voice: 2019.22.249571726
Poweramp: v3-build-830-play
Android Auto: 4.3.591854-release
Google Play Music: 8.20.8059-1.N
Messenger: 216.0.0.20.114
Google Play Books: 5.1.9_RC06.250503688

Permissions:
phone: on
contacts: on
sms: on
microphone: on
calendar: on
call_log: on
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi guys, I have been having same issue and I tried all the advice on MANY forums, but I seem to have found the problem causing this.
Go to apps, click on spotify, then battery, and click allow background battery.
Job done, I hope this works for everybody else that is having this issue. Good luck!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Oh, another thing I did was to clear the apps cache,
App, spotify, storage, clear cache.
It is one or the the other that solved the issue for me
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having same issues with different music apps while my Pixel 3XL is connected to my Mazda.  The audio only seems to skip when Android Auto is displaying Waze or Google Maps.  If the "home" screen or the audio screen are displayed, I get no skips, even with Waze running in the background.  My OG Pixel did not have this issue and started having problems as soon as I upgraded to the 3XL.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey Jason, it must have something to with the latest Pixel update. My 2 was working fine in my 2019 Forester, boom update my phone and now it doesn't work unless i bluetooth it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is happening to me in my 2018 trax....music skips if I try to listen to spotify and use Google maps at the same time. Worked fine yesterday, all of a sudden today it skips. Help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having audio cut out issues as well. 2019 Nissan Altima with a Samsung s9 and a Samsung s8. I only notice the cutout when I am connected via USB. I have tried different USB cables, including a c-port connection with no remedy. The audio loss is occurring with both spotify, audible and Waze.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. If you could please fill out the following information, this will help the rest of our team troubleshoot. We appreciate your patience.
  • Error message/screen-shot: if available  
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email?
  • How frequently does the issue occur?(ie 100% on every launch or 50% not so frequent)
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear:
  • Car / head unit make & model:
  • Phone make & model:
  • Android OS version:
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey @David,

Below is the information you requested (and some additional information that was requested the last time I posted in this thread).
  • Error message/screen-shot: None Shown
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via e-mail? Yes
  • How frequently does this issue occur? Approx. 3-5 times during a 1 hour drive
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear: This has been occurring since I the first time I started using Android Auto (December of 2018)
  • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car’s display? Car's Display
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Altima SR, Software version 0702
  • Phone Make & Model: Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
  • Android OS version: 9 w/ May 1, 2019 Security Patch
  • Android Auto app version: 4.3.591854-release
  • Google Play services version: 17.4.55 (100408-248795830)
  • Media app name & version: Google Play Music, v8.20.8059-1.N
If it helps, I've also noticed that the audio only cuts out for audio being played from the audio section of Android Auto (ie: the Headphones). As an example, I'll have music playing through Google Play Music while using directions in Google Maps and the audio cuts out for Google Play Music but the audio directions kept going without issue. Normally the Google Play Music audio would just lower itself so you can hear the directions better but I've had the music audio cut out entirely in the middle of the audio directions a few times. This makes me believe the audio cut out issue isn't related to all of Android Auto but just the Audio (ie: Headphones) portion.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi @David,

Thanks for getting back to us.

• Error message/screen-shot: N/A
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email? Yes
  • How frequently does the issue occur?: Happens atleast once during a drive that is atleast 20 minutes long
  • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car's display: Car's display
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear: I've only noticed it for as long as I've had my car. 3 months.
  • Does this occur outside of Android Auto? No
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Murano SL. Unsure of software version. Will edit once I check.
  • Phone make & model: Happened with both Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Samsung Galaxy S10+
  • Android OS version: 9 for both phones. May patch for S10+, April Patch for Note 8
As Brian stated, only the music suffers from this issue. Audio prompts from Google Maps and Waze come through without issue. I've had the audio issue happen when using both Google Play Music and Spotify.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 @David

Error message/screen-shot: N/A

Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email? If it helps solve the issue then sure

How frequently does the issue occur? Every time I connect my phone to my car's entertainment center and run android auto. It happens for Spotify and Google Play Music

Estimate of when this issue began to appear: In March when I got a 2019 Nissan Altima. this issue did not occur on my previous Hyundai Elantra

Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Altima SR / Head unit version 0702

Phone make & model: Samsung Galaxy S10

Android OS version: 9
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@David

• Error message/screen-shot: There is no error message, only choppy audio.  If it would help, I can try and get a video showing what is on the screen with the audio playing
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email?  Sure
  • How frequently does the issue occur?(ie 100% on every launch or 50% not so frequent)  Every time my phone connects to my car's head unit and Android Auto focus is on google maps or waze.
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear:  As soon as I upgrade from Pixel to Pixel 3XL
  • Car / head unit make & model:  2018 Mazda3, not sure what head unit
  • Phone make & model:  Google Pixel 3XL
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Anthony, David, Brian, Ryan & rajeev, 

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid idea but has anyone tried the steps I followed a few posts earlier that sorted out all my issues? I got that annoyed I considered changing from android, thankfully hunting forums for a day I eventually found the solution....for my phone anyway....
Give it a try, I'd love to your results, cheers, James
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi James. I did try your steps and unfortunately had no luck. My app battery settings actually already matched what you described. So I cleared cache but the problem persists.

Are you by chance on a 2019 Nissan? I know some others, including myself, have the issue on 2019 Nissans so that seems to be a commonality
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No, Mazda 6. I wasnt sure if u seen my post and I thought it was worth a shot. Sorry it was of no help to you.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi James,

The first thing I did was make sure Android wasn't putting any of Android Auto/GMaps/Waze/Spotify/Play Music to sleep on both phones that I used. Still had the same issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Updated Android Auto today to version 4.4.592344-release. The issue is still occurring.

@David perhaps this issue will be addressed when the large update releases this summer?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issues with spotify working through Bluetooth and aux. Just keeps stopping. Very frustrating
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have some potentially good news for the folks with a Nissan in this thread. Today my car took a firmware update (version 0814) and since then I have had zero cut outs. I have also noticed that AA in general seems to be much snappier than it was before the update. 

I need to test it more but so far the difference has been night and day. Will be interesting to see if this fixes the issue for anyone else.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i am having a issue with my volkswagon polo with Spotify Android Auto it keeps cutting out after starting a song then i press play again the song contiues then cuts out again

can someone please help with this
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Anthony, I have a 2019 Nissan Altima SR as well and have the exact same issues you describe. Pretty much the only difference is that I have an S8+. I had a Sony head unit in my previous car with Android auto. It worked perfectly with my phone. I don't know if it is comforting to know that others are having the exact same issue or more disturbing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sorry to hear you're having the issue too. I figure the more people they see have it, perhaps they will prioritize it a bit more. Hopefully we'll find some luck soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Be sure to check to see if Nissan have released a firmware update for the car, that fixed the issue for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ah yes, forgot to mention Steven that I've checked for firmware updates the past few days and unfortunately there's nothing. On my Altima it says I already have the latest version.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That's unfortunate, I just had a look at the infotainment system that comes with the 2019 Altima and it seems almost identical to the one in the Qashqai/rouge sport so hopefully it won't be to long. It's been a week now since I got it and I've had zero drop outs so it definitely seemed like a Nissan issue rather than an android Auto issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
that's great to hear! I sure hope you're right. If and when that update comes on the Altima I'll be sure to update everyone else in here that has an Altima.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This morning, I told Google to read the news rather than using Google play music or YouTube music. There were zero drop outs. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with drm.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
2019 Nissan Kicks. Same issue.   

• Error message/screen-shot: no error
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email? I know how and would be happy to send to someone. 
  • How frequently does the issue occur? Every 10-15 minutes while connected. 
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear: from first connection
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Kicks
  • Phone make & model: Google Pixel 3
  • Android OS version: 9 July 5 patch. 
Side note, USB connection using the cable that came with the phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just got a 2019 Altima and now have this problem with my Galaxy S10 using Google Play Music.  Never had this problem with my Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in the car I traded in.

Android Pie
Android Auto version 4.4.592344
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
well everyone, got the big new Android Auto update with the new UI. I was hoping this would be the one that fixes the problem, but no luck. It seems that Nissan is a common theme though so I guess let's just keeping checking for firmware updates on our head units. hopefully that day will come soon and we find luck like Steven did
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue with my Note 9 and my 2019 Nissan Altima. Cuts out in Audible especially bad. Also cuts out when running Spotify.  I'm connected via USB. Audio books and Spotify music are both downloaded onto my phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Has anyone gotten a fix to this? Desktop app is working perfectly fine, but bluetooth from my galaxy s10 cuts in both my car and on headphones. This has now been happening for almost a month. Im done with spotify if this doesnt get fixed by the end of the month.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
unfortunately no fix that I've found. I've tried just about every trick and haven't had luck. however, it doesn't seem to be a Spotify issue, as it happens on google play music and Amazon music too. It also seems like Nissan head units is at least part of the problem since Nissan seems to be a commonality.

To make matters more frustrating, I checked the Known Android Auto Issues thread this morning to see what issues they're working with partners on. this issue wasn't on the list.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Unfortunately, it is not just Spotify. In my case it is every media app I listen to in AA. During my 10-minute drive I counted 15 sound cut-outs! (Spotify, Pocket Casts and Voice). All of my apps and other related software (Galaxy S10) are up-to-date ... I have been having this issue for months now and i am getting tired of it. AA sometimes works, sometimes does not - cannot figure out why.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Group,

If I turn the sound mode to off while I'm in the car, the music streaming from the phone onto the car, does not gets cut off. See if that helps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. Our team would like to collect more information on this issue. Please fill out this form so that we may further investigate the issue. We appreciate your patience.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Paul, I submitted my answers in the form. Does this mean the Android Auto team will contact Nissan/car manufacturers to work towards solutions? It seems that Nissan head units is part of the problem based on all the others that have chimed in.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for filling out the form. We've forwarded this thread and user feedback collected on the form to the rest of the team. We'll update this thread with more information when available.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I permanently fixed this by uninstalling google play music and android auto.  Now stream to my car entertainment system through other apps.  Remove google, live happily ever after.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have similar issue when changed my old Samsung phone with Android version 7 to new with Android 9. My car Honda CR-V, 2017
I used Android Auto and Google Play Music for streaming. When select some radio, songs just appears on screen for 1-2 sec and then changing to next song and so on. Just show on screen without playing. 
I can see  that this issue is from April 2019. Was it resolved? What other applications can be used instead AA and Google?  

Thanks,
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have  no battery restrictions, but still have this issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have this same issue.  Same vehicle with Samsung S9.  Have tried on traditional USB, and USB c straight through.  Audio still seems to cut out at random, though the song itself does continue to play. Happens on NPR One, Google Play Music, Google Podcasts as well.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think everyone is having the same issue as I am with streaming music via android auto. I'm not sure if this may be the cause, but what I've noticed is, on android auto, the network connects to 4G instead of 4G-LTE. My phone is on a 4G-LTE network. When I stream via bluetooth, I have no issue...regardless of whether I'm using Spotify, Google Play Music or Pandora in my 2019 Nissan Altima. So my question is, is the issue with android auto or Nissan's firmware?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Val I also have no issues when streaming music through bluetooth without android auto. even after the recent android auto software update, the issue still persists and we haven't heard back yet after submitting bug reports. I really can't tell if it's an android auto issue or a nissan software issue. I keep checking for software updates on my car's entertainment system and unfortunately there hasn't been any since I got the car.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's not just streaming music.  When I use AA and listen to the radio it does the same thing - you would think they would have figured it out by now
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue, but in my case audio never comes back.
I can easily get audio back by pressing pause then play.

I can also easily reproduce the problem because I know of songs that will always show this problem at a specific moment. I have tried these exact same song over bluetooth our phone speaker and even Bose Soundtouch, and they play fine there.

An example (sorry if it's not to you linking...) : The Contract by Fa, audio always stopping at 2:01 (song climax, so my guess is that's there's a problem with audio compression or data link saturation or something like that)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is and it's a bit frustrating when you're trying to use Andriod Auto and it's not working. I may just call Nissan to find out if it's a software issue in the car.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This has gotten much worse for me since the Android Auto update on October 4th. If there was a way to revert back to the previous version I would just to see if it made a difference.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I concur with Danny. The number of interruptions are ridiculous now.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Val unfortunately I tried working this out with the Nissan dealer earlier this year and got nowhere. they even gave me a rental Altima for a day to see if the issue replicated, which it did. they then told me they called corporate, who said if it's by chance an issue with Nissan software, the software updates are out of their control. those are controlled by the third party who makes the entertainment systems is what they said... I keep checking for an update on my entertainment system but nothing.

I agree with the others recently saying that the audio cut outs have gotten worse lately. it's incredibly frustrating, especially since I sent in bug reports a few months ago and haven't gotten an update back from the team. I'm at the point where Android Auto unbearable. I'll just have to listen to music via bluetooth for now
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Something updated and now instead of sporadic. 5ish times in an hour of cutting out... I get constant skipping like I'm listening to a scratched CD. Almost wishing I never had 1. Bought this Nissan, or 2. Switched to Android....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a Pixel 3 and a 2020 Nissan Altima SR. The infotainment system, Pixel 3, and Android Auto app are all updated to their latest respective versions. The audio will cut out for anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds and I haven't been able to correlate the audio cutting out with any specific event. This problem exists on Spotify, YouTube Music, and Google Podcasts whether or not I have Google Maps active at the time or not.

When the audio cuts out, I've noticed that the content continues playing on my phone. No audio output occurs on the phone, and the Android auto interface simply assumes the content is still streaming. A quick pause and play will restore the audio, but it eventually cuts out again. Occasionally, the audio never comes back if I wait about 15 seconds or so, thus requiring I pause and play the content again. The Nissan dealership said there's nothing they can do about it. The fact it is affecting a variety of car and phone combinations leads me to believe that it's a problem with Android Auto itself. I've had friends test Apple CarPlay in my vehicle and it works just fine.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue.
Nissan Sentra 2019
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a 2019 Nissan Altima and a Pixel 3. My phone stays connected just fine to the car, however I have been experiencing severe intermittent audio loss, and it is INFURIATING. While I'm playing music (google play) or podcasts (google podcasts), at least once or twice a minute the music or podcast will cut out for anywhere between a fraction of a second to several seconds. Whatever is playing does not pause, so I will miss several seconds of each song. It is starting to drive me crazy. Please fix! I never had this problem with my 2017 Mazda CX-5 android auto with the same phone.

@david
  • Error message/screen-shot: no error, everything appears to work fine  
  • Would you like to receive instructions for capturing a bug report via email? yes
  • How frequently does the issue occur? 100%
  • Estimate of when this issue began to appear: July 2019 after purchasing new car
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Nissan Altima SV
  • Phone make & model: Google Pixel 3
  • Android OS version: 10
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a samsung galaxy s10 and a nissan sentra sv 2019 model. The audio used to cut in and out not so often in the beginning which was around february but recently it's been completely disastrous. The music plays in the android auto but cuts in and out very frequently. Google assistant does not even make a noise when prompted since about a month ago.
I was wondering whether it was a cable or my car. But the bluetooth of both of my car and my phone are fine. Since android auto uses the cable to play music and for google assistant, I am convinced android auto is the problem as of now.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here in a 2019 Nissan Murano.
Audio cuts out randomly for 1-5 seconds during Android Auto use.  Happens in multiple apps.  Have experienced it in Google Play Music, Apple Music, Podcast Addict...

Also have a 2018 Honda Odyssey and audio on that car doesn't appear to ever cut out like it does on the Nissan.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happens with any audio app I use (Amazon music, Stitcher, Google Play Music, Google Podcasts, NPROne).  Seemingly at random the sound will dim for 2-5 seconds.  As far as I can tell, the phone receives a notification for something that doesnt break into AA (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Fitbit) and it dims the sound like it normally would outside of AA, but doesnt actually play the notification sound.

I have a Honda.  This has been happening for at least 6 months.  I am currently at 4.7.593824-release
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I found a fix. I bought an iPhone. It sucks but it works with my head unit until google and Nissan  gets their act together.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am have the same problem with my 2018 Nissan Rogue. I use Google play music with android auto on my radio screen. The music cut in and out. This started happening after Nissan did a recall on the radio. I think its a bad file in the update. It is very annoying. Please help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm  having the same problem when I'm using Waze and Spotify together.  I stopped the Waze directions and the fading issue stopped. I would like to use them together but the fading of the music is so annoying! Could it be a notification issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a 2019 Nissan Rogue and it cuts out all of the time.  It's very annoying.   Galaxy Note 8.  I rarely use Waze or Maps so I don't know if it does it during the app too.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have a 2019 Nissan Altima and I have the same problem as original poster.  The sound cuts out randomly for a fraction of a second to as much as a couple seconds many times during a song.  It happens with Pandora and Google Play.  I re-installed Android auto several times with no change.  I also tried my wife's phone and and still had the same problem.  The wierd thing is it only happens after the first song finishes playing and always happens after that.  If I switch to the radio and back to Pandora or Google Play, it is fine for one song, then starts happening on the next song.  I had the Nissan dealer refresh the software and that didn't fix it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, I have an Audi A3, and was so excited to get my playlists blaring, but OMG, after I minute I have lost the will to carry on...Please help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
2019 Altima....same issue! Happens with YouTube music as well!

I'm starting to think this is on Google's end, iPhones and carplay work flawlessly 🙄
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Posting in this thread as well to say that I have the same issue with a 2019 Nissan Altima. Audio intermittently cuts out across multiple apps at random times.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a 2019 Honda Civic  phone is an LG Q Stylo +.   Podcasts,  Maps , Music and even when Android Auto is sitting idle. After about 5 minutes of being plugged in it starts to disconnect rapidly. As it is loading from one disconnect it goes off again before it fully loads
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too am having the same issue with my 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport.  I noticed that many others with this issue also have Nissans.  I recently had a recall for a software update for the backup camera.  The issue became more pronounced after the update to the head unit.  Has anyone else had the backup camera update done?  I'm using a Samsung S9 Plus, Android 9.0, Android Auto Version 4.8.594324.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also got the notice about the backup camera recall on my Altima. I haven't gotten around to having it updated yet. However, the audio issue is still extremely present. it seems like it just gets worse and worse. I'm not even using android auto anymore at this point. I'll try every couple weeks to see if the issue is fixed, but nothing. It seems the Android Auto team has no interest in fixing this or even showing involvement in these threads anymore. quite discouraging
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same issue with Spotify. On my Galaxy 10S I did the following adjustment:
1. Go to settings
2. Open Device Care
3. Click on Power Mode 
4. Click Optimize

Try it. Works for me!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. We have informed our partners with the audio cutting out issue. We'll update the thread once we have more information to share. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Since my post, the audio cutting out seems to have become much more frequent. I've noticed that the longer the content is that's playing, the worse the issue becomes. Maybe anectodal, I don't know. It's to the point where I simply connect via Bluetooth and don't use Android Auto at all anymore. Occasionally, Google Assistant will hang completely and get stuck when I sent a response to a message on Facebook messenger or a text. I've also noticed that Google Assistant's voice recognition accuracy has gotten markedly worse as well. It's to the point that I don't use it at all, as I need to repeat my message 3 or 4 times even when enunciating as clearly as possible. Android Auto is a disaster. Just goes to show that you should Google for troubleshooting pages regarding new technology you're interested in before purchasing it, ESPECIALLY if it's manufactured by Google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I was referred to this forum for a similar issue. Except I don't drive a Nissan... as I specifically stated in my post I drive a 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Google giving us the same canned response is beyond atrocious for a billion dollar company. This is why I cancelled my Stadia pre-order google support is just pure garbage.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
After leaving a scathing review on the app store when the app solicited my feedback, I was directed to this thread. I can confirm this is NOT phone specific and NOT car (make/model) specific. AA while connected via USB cable (this is not an issue on headless/wifi 3rd party devices) will cut out in the middle of ANY music playback - streaming or locally saved on the phone - and produce no audio, but the song will continue to "play" until the sound comes back. This lasts either a second or two, but I've had it go on for a over 10 seconds, and quite a few times. Short of manually tapping on pause and play when this happens, there doesn't seem to be anything that will fix this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just had my MY19 Rav4 Hybrid updated and Google Play Music Skips. Have tried literally everything. Bluetooth Automatically connects after connecting to the Cable, no pairing required. Very annoying.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Success, after following list of the suggestions without improvement I factory reset the Nissan connect interphase. After that the playback was normal. As a musician I can feel every 20 minutes a millisecond cut out. It is much better then the unusable 1 to 3 seco da cutouts every 3 to four minutes.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue as many. Only when using Android Auto does the audio intermittently cut out.

Tried multiple usb cables, multiple android phones, different music apps, issue reproduced every time.
If I just connect to the bluetooth and not use Android Auto, I get great audio. However, that isn't really a solution, now is it?

• Error message: None
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2020 Nissan Rogue SR, Software version 0810
  • Phone Make & Model: Samsung Galaxy S10+ (SM-G975W) but I've also tried a Samsung Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955W)
  • Android Auto app version: 4.8.594324-release
  • Google Play services version: 19.6.29 (100400-278422107)
  • Media app name & version: Google Play Music, v8.22.8261-1.P and Spotify, v8.5.33.831

As an aside, my buddy connected his iPhone to the vehicle and the music was excellent the whole hour. As someone who frequently points out how great my android is to my iPhone brethren, I'm never going to live this one down.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Paul - Android Auto Team,

When can we expect REAL solutions to this problem? This has been an issue for over a year and it's only gotten worse. The community has shared a lot of information about this issue, including a number of us submitting our bug report logs months ago. The lack of updates and communication from the Android Auto Team and Google is extremely upsetting. It really doesn't make me want to encourage people to use the Android Auto platform and it makes me question if I should stop using it myself.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Johann any tricks on how you reset your entertainment system? I have tried that before by restoring default settings. I didn't have any luck so I'd be curious to give that another shot with your method.

@Paul does this mean the ball is currently in Nissan's court to implement a solution? What kind of timeframe can we expect?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please fix this issue! This makes listening to podcasts on the drive to and from work a nightmare if you miss a few seconds every so often you can miss half of a conversation!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is happening on literally all media apps for me. Samsung music, spotify, pulsar, any podcast apps, everything
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Spotify wont play at all on my Android Auto. Worked fine this morning but on drive home nothing. Any idea how this will be fixed?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
A question and some info.

2018 Nissan Rogue; standard infotainment (I assume)
Pixel, Android 10

Question: My software version is 000000014, is this correct? I only ask because when I click the "Check for Update" button, the "Last date checked" changes to 'today' but it is so quick and I don't see any real response above that. I expected the popup dialog as is shown on a few YouTube examples. Thanks.

Some Info: Every media player (Audible, Play, even YouTube) seems to stutter whenever the phone does something: text message comes through, the map reroutes, I get mail, or something on my phone screen pops up. And when I hit pause (ex: Audible), the app appears to pause, but the sound will continue for about 5 seconds as if it is running out the buffer. And usually, the microphone can't hear me when I am attempting to use commands (such as sending a text), I just get the 4 dots which look like they are not picking up sound. The bluetooth usually disconnects during its time in AA mode and becomes non-connectable after disconnecting from AA (meaning: I can't reconnect to the car or headphones until I reboot the phone) though I don't know why it connects to the car's BT when it is by wire... I also notice that the phone is laggy after unplugging. I am wondering if this is what everyone else is seeing. Thanks again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Went to my Nissan dealership today to talk about the problem. Did not expect much and did not get much.

The words from the tech on the workorder was "No updates available for audio system. Advise customer to use a usb cable and update phone to latest version." Brilliant, right?

The service adviser had a bit more but it was basically on the theme that the dealership has no control over speed or frequency of firmware updates. I did get a phone number for Nissan HQ if I wanted to voice my complaints to them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So glad to see that this is a real problem and not just all in my head like the service dept at the Nissan dealership would have me believe. After them spending two days with my 2020 Nissan Rogue I bought 3 weeks ago I was also told to just wait for an update--there's nothing they can do and they 'can't recreate the issue'. 

I also experience the sound issue over Bluetooth, but not nearly as bad as over USB through Android auto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thomas, Shakilla,
What software version do you have on your infotainment system? (And is it the sock system?)
Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here.  2019 Titan.  Same problem with both my Note 9 and my wife's S10.  Tried suggestions in thread no changes.  Some apps cut out worse than others - Pandora is horrible, Castbox and Google Music are moderate, iHeartRadio definitely cuts out less than the other apps.  Frustrating...one of the things I was looking forward to in my new truck.  Help us Google!

Want to add - this is definitely an audio over the cable issue.  It never happens when I'm connected over Bluetooth.  Wish I could Force AA audio over Bluetooth.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've had the issue with a Galaxy S10 and brought out an old LG G2 and got the same problem.  I've tried both the USB A and USB C port in the car, switch cables on the ports, changed the app background use settings on my phone to not be limited for every app that's used in Android Auto.  My Nissan dealer also just replaced the radio in my Altima and that didn't fix anything either.  Using bluetooth is a decent workaround but the only thing I could find to truly fix the issue was buying an iPhone 5c for $40 on eBay and using CarPlay instead.  Not sure how Nissan's Android Auto implementation can be so bad since I've had no problems with my phones with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in my previous car or the systems that came in a Kia, Buick or Volkswagen.  At this point it's tempting to find a replacement aftermarket stereo to put in my car because I have no faith in Nissan ever fixing it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google please pull Nissan's certification over this until they fix it.  I tried with my same phone and USB cord in a car with an aftermarket JVC headunit and has zero audio dropouts.  I've disabled Android Auto on my head unit for now, so all it can do is charge my phone.  Still no issues at all with Bluetooth audio.  Has anyone found a way to route Android Auto audio over Bluetooth instead of USB?
marked this as an answer