/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
[FAQ] What are these cryptic error messages that I’m seeing? How do I deal with them? 0 Recommended Answers 5 Replies 4 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
Last edited 5/2/19
Here are the error messages that we’ve seen reported in the community, which you can easily fix.

Most Common
  • Google Play Services error:
    • What it means: Android Auto couldn’t connect with Google Play Services.
    • Likely cause: Something went wrong while you are setting up Android Auto.
    • Suggested solution:
      • Connect your phone to your car with a USB cable first - do NOT open the Android Auto app on your phone first.
      • After you’ve plugged into the USB cable in your car, unlock your phone and check the phone screen.
      • Follow the getting started flow and accept all permissions in Android Auto.
      • You are all set! If it still doesn’t work, try uninstalling Google Play Services update and re-update, then follow the steps above once again.
  • Communication Error 8:
    • What it means: Authentication failed between the car and the phone.
    • Likely cause: This is most likely caused by the date and time being set incorrectly on the head unit.
    • Suggested solution:
      • Park your car, unplug your phone, and go into the head unit’s date/time settings.
      • Set the date and time to the correct information. Check that your car radio has the correct timezone set up, if it allows timezone settings Check if the headunit has winter/summer (daylight) setting and make sure it matched the setting on your phone.
      • Reconnect your phone after confirming the new information is saved -- you should be good to go!
      • If it still doesn’t work, please ensure that Google Play Services is up-to-date and try again.
  • Communication Error 12:
    • What it means: Car is not responding
    • Likely cause: This is typically a transient software failure. If it occurs frequently, it could be caused by a bad USB cable causing communication issues.
    • Suggested solution: Try the recommended USB cables.

Less Common
  • Communication Error 4:
    • What it means: Car disconnected with Android Auto
    • Likely cause: Some cars/head units have this behavior as they immediately shut down and send a disconnection signal to Android Auto.
    • Suggested solution: Android Auto app will no longer consider this behavior as error in upcoming release.
  • Communication Error 7:
    • What it means: Android Auto failed to set up a secure communication with the head unit.
    • Suggested solution: Make sure to keep Google Play services up-to-date and try the recommended USB cables.
  • Communication Error 11:
    • What it means: Android Auto failed to initialize display system.
    • Likely cause: Initialization took too long or some function of the phone was not working properly.
    • Suggested solution: We’d need more information to diagnose your case. Please share us more information.

How to update Google Play Services

Android 6.0 or above
Settings > Google > Menu> Help & Feedback > Menu > View in Google Play Store  > Update (*If you see “Deactivate” button instead of “Update” button, no action is needed. You are already on the latest version)

Android 5.0, 5.1
Google Settings > Google > Menu> Help & Feedback > Menu > View in Google Play Store  > Update (*If you see “Deactivate” button instead of “Update” button, no action is needed. You are already on the latest version)

Still doesn’t work?
Please provide the information below and note that we may reach out to you via email with bug report instructions. Bug reports help us understand the issue you are experiencing better. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
  • Error message:
  • Car / head unit make & model:
  • Phone make & model:
  • Android OS version (Settings > About phone):
  • Android Auto app version (Settings > Apps > Android Auto):
  • Google Play services version (Settings > Apps > Google Play services):
All Replies (5)
7/12/19
I am seeing the dreaded Communication Error 8 as it seems quite a few people are.

Here is my situation. and statistics:

Vehicle: 2018 F150 with Sync.
Phone: Galaxy S7 with a caveat.

I have been very successfully running Android Auto on my Galaxy S7 since I purchased the truck in November of 2018.
In December, I had to replace the phone. It was a direct replacement, so S7 for S7. I copied everything over, and no issues.
Last week, I once again had to replace the phone. Same scenario, S7 for S7...however, this time I started to immediately see the Com Error 8.
I have gone through and set, and reset the date and time. There are only so many settings here.
As per your direction, here are the specifics:

• Error message: COMMUNICATION ERROR 8. Did not pass Security Blah Blah Blah Date and Time Etc
  • Car / head unit make & model: Ford Factory F150 with Sync III
  • Phone make & model: Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Android OS version (Settings > About phone):8.0.0
  • Android Auto app version (Settings > Apps > Android Auto):4.4.592344
  • Google Play services version (Settings > Apps > Google Play services):2019.05.10327

In the short time I have been using Android Auto (7 Months) I have become very dependent on all aspects of it. Please let me know if there is something blaringly obvious I am doing.

I do have the old phone still, waiting to hopefully resolve this issue before I send it back. I will verify the App and OS versions. Maybe that is the ticket.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
9/1/19
Any update on communication error 11 or is buying a Samsung or Google phone the only way out?
The Huawei Mate 20 reinstalling didn't solve the issue.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
Hi Tom,

Please make sure you have done the troubleshooting steps 6 from this FAQ thread and restart the phone.  If issue persists, please fill out this contact us form. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
9/11/19
Tom,

Buying a Samsung won't fix it. In fact, I had the issue with my Samsung (Worst phone ever) and it disappeared with my new  "Non-Samsung".

I'm pretty sure it has anything to do with the type of phone.
The fact it cleared up with new phone makes me think it was an APP or even just a subtle setting that was causing the issue.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
1/3/20
I am still receiving the error message after completing the steps above:
  • Error message: Communications Error 8
  • Car / head unit make & model: Jeep Cherokee
  • Phone make & model: Samsung S8
  • Android OS version (Settings > About phone): 9
  • Android Auto app version (Settings > Apps > Android Auto): 4.9.594934
  • Google Play services version (Settings > Apps > Google Play services): 17.4.55
Last edited 1/3/20
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
Questions about a different Google product are no longer considered off-topic and should be moved to the relevant community.
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/androidauto/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic