If you’ve been using the Android Auto app on your phone screen, you’ll need to switch to Google Assistant’s driving mode, a new integrated driving experience. If your car is compatible with Android Auto, you can still connect directly to your car’s display.  Learn about other ways Google is ready to make your drive better.

/androidauto/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
S21 Ultra - Android Auto crashes when the phone is unlocked
Galaxy S21 Ultra. After the constant nightmare AA has been on this device and trying one thousand cables, I finally got one that works... as long as I don't unlock the phone. If the phone is locked and I don't touch it, all good. If the phone is unlocked, all good. But if the phone is locked and I unlock it, Android Auto crashes and never recovers, I have to manually disconnect the cable and re connect again to launch AA.

I don't use any fancy security things, don't use third party launchers, themes, icons; nothing. No good lock, no Galaxy labs, anything; I come from an iPhone (and the total pain that AA is makes me regret leaving iOS every single day of my life) so I don't care for customization. The phone has a Samsung Calendar widget, I tried deleting it and it's the same. It's just broken for no reason, and it can't be the cable, it works fine If I don't unlock.

I also tried re installing AA, Webview, Chrome, using Canary WebView and Chrome... nothing works.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (132)
Relevant Answer
Hi Gabe,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Connectivity issues can occur due to several factors (car, phone, USB cable, software, etc) that can affect the performance of Android Auto. We recommend trying the troubleshooting steps on this FAQ thread to help with your experience.

If the issue still persists, you can fill out this Contact us form for further assistance. Thanks!
Recommend
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello! Yes, I tried every one of those steps. And as I said, Android Auto works as long as I don’t unlock the phone. If its locked or unlocked it will work for hours, no problem.

But if the phone locks and I have to unlock it, AA crashes and I have to reset the cable. Everything in that FAQ is fine… as long as I don’t unlock.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello,

I also have the same problem as Gabe after the last 2 updates, on Samsung Galaxy S21.

Up until March everything was working properly. 

After the last 2 updates, as soon as I unlock the phone connected to Android Auto, the application goes to Crash. The only way to get it working again is to unplug and re-plug the cable.

I have already changed the cable by putting an original Samsung one. Nothing has changed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same thing here. 2018 GMC Canyon and S21 Ultra (wired). Gone through all the troubleshooting steps posted already. Tried different cables, different ports, different default USB setting. Every time AA crashes when phone is unlocked. This started only this past week for me that I've noticed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Gotta love the standard helpful responses from Google
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
After the last update that I have received yesterday I have the same issue with a s 20 plus 5g and a tucson 2019. Until yesterday I had no problems. The cable is not the issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same thing here with the S21 5G US version, after the latest update, everything was smooth before that.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, with my S21 Ultra in my 2019 Civic Type R. Except mine will *usually* reconnect itself and work fine. Occasionally it does not, and sometimes the head unit will tell me that the device I have connected isn't compatible with Android Auto. All this started since my update yesterday I believe. It's incredibly frustrating. I get the various phone and vehicle manufacturers can complicate things, but damn.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank goodness I'm not the only one having this issue. 

US Unlocked S21 Ultra here using Android Auto with a 2021 Chevy Silverado. This annoying issue started after receiving the May 2021 security patch last week. Just like everyone else, if I unlock the phone while AA is running, it crashes and I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable to get it running again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We forwarded this issue to the rest of the team. We'll update with more information when it's available. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can't even get my s21 to connect with android auto through USB TO my kenwood ddx9018dabs it just keeps saying to accept terms and conditions but I can't find it anywhere but my s9 I had not one problem with it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here .. brand new S21+ and Google Mapa on AA is not working at all .. I ended up switching to Waze.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the S20 Ultra model and having the same issue. Done all the troubleshooting steps. Only difference for me is after moment it will reconnect, but the fact it disconnects if I unlock is very inconvenient as sometimes I need to do so or my co-pilot needs to and that causes disruption for maps or music
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, S10+ latest official, AA 6.4.611714-release, Ford Sync 3.0 . 

Doing so for about a week (or some more). At phone unlock, AA is crashing to Sync interface, and phone is asking for permissions in order to start Android Auto again (need to press Allow, otherwise AA will not start!)

Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, note 20 ultra 5g. Been about a week. its not the solutions that are suggested, its a bug.  It would be great if this forum Could be a central location for us to look instead of getting vague responses that just sit from support that we've already tried.  

This 'where's Waldo' hunting and poking around the internet for solutions to bugs that are thrown at our phones is getting old. My last frustration was the one where we had to go in to car interface and set to use phone ringtone so my phone would ring again which I ended up finding somewhere else on the Internet and I should have found the solution on this form.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've been having this same issue over the last two weeks. I have a note 20 ultra connected to a 2020 Sentra. I have used both USB and usb-c wires in the car. It actually started happening after a recent Samsung update. I uninstalled android auto and reinstalled it. I deleted the Bluetooth connections on both phone and car and set everything up from scratch and it still disconnects from the car the second I unlock my phone so music and gps disappear off my car screen.

I've had the phone and car since last year and had no problems until recently.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having this issue too in Australia with my Samsung note 20 ultra Snapdragon version from HK in a 2018 Hyundai Tucson. These responses from Google is not helping what so ever troubleshooting is only good if it works, everyone is constantly having problems and problems still remain after this troubleshooting response. Maybe troubleshoot the troubleshooting you've got and actually help people still having problems and get a team to fix it. This is actually a very serious safety hazard if android auto glitches out because let's say your passenger unlocked your phone to contact emergency services and your cars screen with the map location turns off having a passenger or driver become lost. It's not good. Please update the app for Samsung's in mind. 

I have a feeling it's a Hyundai/Samsung S20 and S21 series phones having this issue more common.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 After updating AA on my Samsung a71, AA constantly restarts indefinitely, now it has stopped starting.  cadillac cue 2.5
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with Skoda and Samsung S20+ 5G after last phone update.
All the time when I unlock phone AA is disconnecting.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue as well with a regular S21 with the latest updates to android auto. I've got a Hyundai sonata which also seems to have an issue with the s21 where it stops responding 5-10 min after launching Android auto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, I'm having the same issue, since last may update on my S21 Ultra - Exynos edition and Volvo XC60. S21-AA relation is a pain in the ***. Just before that i bought 4 different cables to connect my phone to the car because all of them were unstable. 

I never had any of these issues with my previous Huawei Mate 20 pro. 

Come on Google, you have a lot of work to do. Android Auto is a selling point. If I knew that it's gonna be so hard to enjoy having phone on my car I would chose to buy without hesitation an Iphone.

Thank you.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am also having this issue since the last update on my galaxy note 20 ultra
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem on S20 FE
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue as well on my Note 20 Ultra with Uconnect 8.4
Error 8 red screen.
Tried adjusting clocks, new cord, clearing cache to no avail.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem too, mine is S21 Ultra 5G use on 2017 Civic SI, everything was smooth until the last system updated. Problem is usually happened when using lane watch, music apps are start lagging then AA is disconnected. I have to reconnect cable again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. Note 10, AA not working, after last update keeps stopping every time I unlock screen.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here .
Note 20 ultra Snapdragon version with Hyundai Santa Fe 2019 Canada.
This is so frustrating. Was never an issue before this.
It maybe Samsung or Hyundai but AA got to find a solution to this.
Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I guess it's more Samsung issue because when I plug in another android device like one plus . It works perfectly with the Hyundai so it's Samsung . Lemme know if anyone can find a fix for this.
Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

I got the same issue with Galaxy S21U Exynos model - May update and last AA update. So frustrating
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Dears, good day!

Same here. Everything works just fine with the phone status "locked" or "unlocked". The problem only occurs with the action of unlocking the phone.

I've inclusive tested with my friend's car's Display, to see if the problem were my display. But the problem remains.

Please solve this asap, it is really frustating and ruins part of the experience with the application. Thanks!

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10
Android version: 11
One UI version: 3.1
AA Release: 6.4.611734
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm using Note10+ model and same issue. When will it be fixed?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S21 Ultra, Civic 2018, Beta Android Auto and same issue. Tried everything and more, this is an Android Auto bug.

Please fix this and stop pushing us towards an easier situation like Car Play... this is getting sad.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi All, 

Thanks for all the reports. We informed the Samsung team and they have  applied a fix on an upcoming upgrade as part of the regular July maintenance release to resolve this issue. Please keep checking for system updates on the device.

Thanks
The Android Auto Team
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Don't worry to all the S20 users.  Yall aren't alone. Same issue with Note 10 +.  Top to bottom its across the board.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here with S10+ and Volvo AA app. Can only connect with the screen locked. If I unlock the screen with AA running, it crashes and disconnects. I also get a "Stand Still To Continue" message at times.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is the exact issue I'm having - STILL - I have the S20+ - All of my friends have iPhones with NO issues whatsoever with CarPlay... think maybe after 20+ years (or whatever) when I started with the S3, I'll switch.  It can't be any worse.  I drive a lot and literally lose my $*!t so the time solely because of Android Auto.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello!
I upgraded from a S20 Ultra and didn't have any problems before. 
With S21 Ultra I´m having to deal with ths issue.
Waiting for the fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Annoying - Tmobile upgraded the Galaxy S10 software last week, and now my Galaxy S10 is having the same issue.

It had no problems previously, but the last software created two problems: the one in this thread, and this other one: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/96366215/google-assistant-says-something-went-wrong-please-try-again-for-all-commands-and-apps?hl=en&msgid=96366215

Hopefully Samsung gets the fix deployed fast.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This bug apparently in May was pushed to my phone after the JUNE patch which was WAY late on the 18th of JUNE!

MAYBE SAMMY AND GOOGLE should consider EMERGENCY patch pushes instead of making their users WAIT. APPLE does it, you all like to play follow the leader so DO IT!

I think it is pretty LAME off SAMMY to push a known bug to users AFTER they have been made aware of it WHO IS THE IDIOT THAT ALLOWED SUCH A THING
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem with my Note 10+ for months now. This is so annoying. I have always had samsung phones and I daily try to get people to give up their iPhone for a Samsung but this makes me want to get a iPhone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Установил июльское обновление на galaxy s10, проблема осталась
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I got the July security update on my S10 and the issue still exists...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S10+ with the july update and the bug is still here. Samsung should speed this up.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Note 10 and july update -> bug still here.
But, setting "charge only" as default usb config in dev options does the job....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here! I have a s10 and still AA drops off when I unlock the phone. Did the latest July Samsung update
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S10 for Verizon AA still crashes on unlock AFTER taking the July update. It's a constant and daily source of frustration towards my phone and this operating system.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just got the July update, still having the same issue. S21 Ultra, July security patch, build AUFD
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Like the person above. I also tried to make a new post but Google think's it's best to say the "problem is solved"

Hi Armando Garza 6387,
Your question has been marked as a duplicate of an existing question which already has a recommended answer.
Recommended answer 

Original Poster - Armando Garza 6387

Anyways below is the current situation, if you see this and have this issue. Don't remain silent talk to Google here and now. Only then can we push the issue of making a TRUE FIX, alongside Samsung. This isn't just a Samsung problem, it's an Android problem.

~~~

For months many of us have been experiencing a crash when we unlock our Samsung phones as we are connected to Android Auto. The Android Auto team told us a fix was on the way as they had worked with Samsung and a fix was going to be part of the July Security update.

Well many of us got the new July Update, and surprise! It doesn't work we still crash. At this point it is ridiculous. Outside customizing my phone's main screen and side loading apps Android is losing it's identity. All we ask for is software, that is developed by Google, to work across Android devices. I have never been a fan of iPhone but if they release a phone with a 120hz screen I may call it a wrap and move over if Android Auto isn't fixed. 

Having solid navigation is essential in bigger cities and when traveling. Having Android Auto Crash because your spouse unlocks your device to reply to a message is unusable. Support your software properly Google and actually work with Samsung to fix it. It's not just their problem it's also yours. They are a large portion of your Android User Base. If they cannot use a key feature these people won't jump shop to Pixel devices, they'll go to Apple instead.

P.S. Don't respond about "trying different cables" a majority of us have tried a plethora of different cables. My wife has a S21 Ultra that hasn't been updated in a while, her Android Auto works without fail. My updated device does only works so long as the screen is locked.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Updated my Samsung Note 20 Ultra with July patch and the bug persists. Shame on you Android and Samsung devs.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Updated my Note 10+ with the July Security Update from Samsung and problem still persists!

Extremely frustrating to be promised a fix for months and then the "fix" does nothing of the sort. Absolutely horrid response from Google/Samsung when thousands of us are experiencing this issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue. It would be great if you could send us a bug report from your phone to diagnose the root cause of the issue. We'll send an email with the instructions on how to capture a bug report. Please reply directly to the email with your information.

We also recommend checking out this FAQ thread to help troubleshoot and diagnose connection issues. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

Just for a feedback, I confirm that on Samsung S21base model  the problem has been solved with the July update. 

Thank you, greetings.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
When are we supposed to get the email with the bug report instructions? I just want this fixed but I'm sure it's the same issue that was diagnosed before.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Updated with the July patch and sadly the bug is still there. Crashes everytime I unlock my phone. Google and Samsung needs to fix this asap
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Galaxy A52 5G that updated yesterday with the July 2021 update.  Android Auto is still crashing when the phone is unlocked.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here on Note 10+. Crashes when unlocked!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Tengo el mismo problema, Samsung S10e con el parche de julio ! Solución ya!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I updated to the July patch and it hasn't helped. Android Auto still crashes when I unlock my phone. Tethering does the same thing. 

As a temporary fix, I enable the "stay awake" setting in developers mode so that my phone never locks while driving or tethering. 

Please fix this asap!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey all I potentially found a temporary fix for the issue of android auto crashing and reopening each time your phone is unlocked. I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5g (AT&T) and have been experiencing this particularly annoying and persistent problem in my Ford F150 for the past 45 days or so. I received the July security patch update, and found as many of you that it did not patch the bug as promised by Samsung.

The (unconfirmed) fix:
Activate developer mode if you have not already done so (go to Settings > about phone > software information > tap "Build Number" like 7 times), and enable USB debugging. I did this while my phone was connected to android auto. Not sure if it will make a difference if you activate debugging while it's disconnected instead. Since trying this, I have not been experiencing the problem! I'm not sure if this is a safe fix (someone who knows more please do inform us), or if it's just me, so if other people can try this and confirm, it would be great!

I tried this in a fit of rage after finding that the update didn't fix the problem. Messed with settings for maybe half an hour before this worked. Could be a combination of all of the stuff I did.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Chiming in with everyone else that I just received the July update on my Verizon S10+ and still have the same crash-on-unlock issue - how is this not more important to fix... since when has it become ok for a company to let a crash-resulting bug linger for months?
While there are relatively safe things I can do after unlocking my phone in the car, unplugging and re-plugging the USB-C cable to get AA connected again after the crash is not one of them...

Also, how's one supposed to receive/request the email with instructions on how to capture a bug report for this issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This issue is solely with the S21 Ultra. Mine sounds like there is an echo when she speaks, possibly she's been drinking. This issue does not occur with my Pixel 3XL, Teracube 2E or the OnePlus 9 Pro.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
New update does not fix the issue. What can we do to actually get competent support for this issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S10+ with July security update here. Problem still persists!!!

I don't understand why a Samsung or Google Dev can't go back to the May Security update to see what caused the problem and try to reverse engineer it from there?? 

Please fix this!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S21 ultra same problem. Update no works reconnecting allways.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S10E still crashes after update
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Applied July update but Android Auto is still crashing when unlocking my S21 Ultra. How is this still an issue?!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem on Samsung S10, already have July 1,2021 update applied.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I haven't looked at this thread in a while and was excited when I finally got my update because the last time I was here I could swear that it was stated this resolution was in the next update.

Being from the IT field I think it is kind of silly that there was a specific point in time when this stopped working, and this point in time was when we received an update. It blows my mind that you are Relying on the "community"  To submit bug reports. Isn't there some type of R&D department that maybe can get their hands on one of these devices so you don't waste even more of our time? 

If I am navigating and listening to music I literally have to pause my music so it doesn't reset and do it on a stretch of road where I have enough time to restart my navigation. Just to unlock my phone. This is extremely inconvenient and unsafe!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue as well, Samsung S10+. Hoping to have this resolved soon! Apparently before releasing an update they should be testing this crap before saying it will work.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
S21 with a Kenwwod head unit in my 2012 Jeep. (My old Moto Z4 worked. My A52 that I gave to my son worked fine. My wife's A32 works fine. Just the Flagship S21 that no one at Samsung can fix.) Same exact errors... Disconnects the moment I do anything with AA. I've been really patient.... Was going to wait until Android 12 came out. It did and it didn't fix a damn thing. Hours on the phone with Sam tech support going around in circles. I'm pretty much done with Samsung since they seem to be done with us S21 owners. Never again.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/androidauto/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic