Turn sharing on or off
- Open the content, like a photo or webpage.
- Tap Share Nearby .
- You may need to tap Turn on.
- Hold your phone and your friend’s device close to each other.
- Under "Looking for nearby devices," tap the device you want to share with.
- After the content has been sent, tap Done.
- You’ll get a notification that someone is sharing content.
- If you haven’t already, to make your device visible, tap the notification.
- If you’re asked to turn on Nearby Share, Bluetooth, or location, tap Turn on.
- If you didn’t get the notification or if your friend can’t find your device, fix problems sharing content with these steps.
- To get the content, if applicable, tap Accept.
Important: If you share content between your own devices with the same Google Account, the device that receives the content automatically accepts the transfer, even when your screen is off.
- From the top of your screen, swipe down.
- Tap Nearby Share .
- If you can’t find Nearby Share , from the top of the screen, swipe down twice and tap Edit . Then drag Nearby Share to your Quick Settings.
- Choose your options:
- Visible to nearby devices: Your device is only visible if this option is turned on.
- Everyone: Your device is visible to anyone who is nearby while your screen is on and unlocked.
- Contacts: Your device is visible to your nearby contacts while your screen is on and unlocked. You can choose to make your device visible to all contacts or select specific contacts.
- Your devices: Your device is visible to your devices with the same Google Account.
If you try to share or receive content, but it doesn’t work, try these steps:
- On the receiver’s phone, to make your phone visible, swipe down from the top of the screen. In your Quick Settings, tap Nearby Share .
- On both phones, check if Bluetooth is turned on. Learn how to turn on Bluetooth.
- On both phones, check if Location is turned on. Learn how to turn on location.
- Bring the devices close together, within 1 foot (30 cm) of each other.
- Turn Airplane mode on, and then off.
- Turn your phone off, then back on.
- Wait until no one else is sharing content with the other phone.