Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 13 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Turn sharing on or off
Nearby Share is automatically enabled if there's only one account set up on your device and if your account is on at least one other Android device.Share content with someone
- Open the content, like a photo or webpage.
- Tap Share Nearby .
- You may need to tap Turn on.
- Hold your device and your friend’s device close to each other.
- Under "Looking for nearby devices," tap the device you want to share with.
- After the content has been sent, tap Done.
- If you share content between your own devices with the same Google Account, the device that receives the content automatically accepts the transfer, even when your screen is off.
- If you share content from the clipboard of your own device, the content is automatically copied when someone receives it.
- You’ll get a notification that someone is sharing content.
- If you haven’t already, to make your device visible, tap the notification.
- If you’re asked to turn on Nearby Share, Bluetooth, or location, tap Turn on.
- If you didn’t get the notification or if your friend can’t find your device, fix problems sharing content with .
- To get the content, tap the notification. If applicable, tap Accept.
- From the top of your screen, swipe down.
- Tap Nearby Share .
- If you can’t find Nearby Share , tap Edit . Then drag Nearby Share to your Quick Settings.
- Choose your options:
- Device visibility: Your device is only visible if this option is turned on.
- Everyone: Your device is visible to anyone who is nearby while your screen is on and unlocked.
- Contacts: Your device is visible to your nearby contacts while your screen is on and unlocked. You can choose to make your device visible to all contacts or select specific contacts.
- Your devices: Your device is visible to your devices with the same Google Account.
If you try to share or receive content, but it doesn’t work, try these steps:
- On the receiver’s device, to make your phone or tablet visible, swipe down from the top of the screen. In your Quick Settings, tap Nearby Share .
- On both devices, check if Bluetooth is turned on. .
- On both devices, check if Location is turned on. .
- Bring the devices close together, within 1 foot (30 cm) of each other.
- Turn Airplane mode on, and then off.
- Turn your device off, then back on.
- Wait until no one else is sharing content with the other device.