When your camera or microphone is in use by an app, you get a notification on your Android phone. You can control which apps have access to your phone.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 12 and up. Learn how to check our Android version.
Check when your camera & microphone are on:
- When apps use your camera or mic, a green indicator will show at the top right corner of your screen.
- Swipe down and tap on the indicator.
- Tap once to check which app or service is using your camera or microphone.
- Tap again to manage permissions.
Turn your camera or mic on or off
To turn the camera and microphone on or off, swipe down and tap the camera or mic control.
- Swiping down may not work on all devices.
- If you’re having issues accessing the camera or microphone, be sure that you’ve unblocked them.
Manage your camera & microphone in Quick Settings
You can also access camera and microphone controls from Quick Settings tiles.
- From the top of your screen, swipe down twice.
- To turn off camera and mic access, tap the camera or microphone tile.
- If your Quick Settings tiles aren’t there, from the bottom of Quick Settings, tap Edit or Add .
- Touch and drag the tile to add it to your Quick settings.