You can easily share your digital car key with others in your trusted circle.
- Key sharing is only available for:
- Select devices
- Select vehicles in select markets
- Key sharing requires Android 12+. Learn how to get started with a digital car key.
- Make sure that you trust the person you share your key with.
Share a key
To activate and receive the shared key for the first time, your trusted person may be required to activate it with a physical key or activation code. On some vehicles, you may need to start activation from the digital key menu on the car’s screen.
To share a key
- On your Android device, open the wallet app.
- Open your digital car key.
- Tap Share car key.
- Select a user or app to share your key with.
- Name the shared key.
- The name of your shared key can’t be changed.
- Before you share your car key, review your key settings.
- In your selected app, share the key’s link with your trusted contact.
- Key setup may take some time. Your trusted contact will be notified when the key is ready to use.
- Make sure that your trusted contact is signed in to their device’s wallet app.
- To activate the key, your trusted contact will follow on-screen instructions.
Tip: Some cars let you set up shared key settings like restricted driving.Activate a key
You can activate and receive a shared key with a code, physical key, or a digital key. To activate a shared key, you must follow the on-screen instructions.
Activate with a code:
- If you’re given an activation code, share the activation code with your trusted contact.
- For added security, share the activation code over the phone or in a different app than you use to share the key.
- Depending on the car, have your trusted contact enter the activation code on the car’s screen or in their device’s wallet app.
Activate with a physical key:
To activate your digital key with a physical key, your trusted contact must bring a key fob to the car with them.
- Your trusted contact starts the car with your digital key while the physical key is in the car.
- To activate the shared digital key, your trusted contact should follow the instructions on the car’s screen.
Activate with a digital key:
Depending on the car, the trusted contact can also activate it with your digital key. To activate the key, the trusted contact will start the car with the digital key then follow any on-screen instructions.
Delete a shared key
- On your device, open the wallet app.
- Open your digital key.
- Remove the shared key.
- It may take some time to complete. You're notified when access is revoked.
- Some cars won’t delete the shared key until certain conditions are met, such as another physical or digital key being used with the car.
- If you want to delete a shared key immediately, some cars can delete the key from the car’s screen.
Tip: You can also manage keys from the car’s screen.
Troubleshoot key sharing
- Make sure that the key is open on a supported device.
- You must be online.
- Make sure that you’ve activated your key. On some vehicles, you can check if your key is active in the settings on your car's screen. When you use the key for the first time, you must enter an activation code on the car’s screen or go to the car with the owner’s key fob.
- Make sure that the key is ready to use. If you view your key in your wallet app and it says, “Your car key isn’t available yet. You’ll get a notification when it’s ready.”, your key isn't ready to use.