You can transfer and control music or video across connected devices. On your Android device, the media controls opens on the lock screen and notification shade when there’s an active media session. To access the output switcher, tap it.
The output switcher allows you to cast media on your phone to different cast devices including:
- Bluetooth devices
- Cast speakers
- Smart displays (e.g Nest Hub, Nest Hub Max, Nest Hub 2nd gen)
- Chromecast and Google TV devices
Before you cast
Connect your phone or tablet to a Wi-Fi network. It must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your cast devices.
How to cast audio or video
To transfer music or video from your phone or tablet to a speaker or display:
- On your preferred app, play the content that you want.
- Make sure that the phone or tablet you use to cast is on the same Wi-Fi network as your speaker or display.
- From the lock screen or notification shade on your phone or tablet, at the top right of the media controls, tap the output switcher .
- On the output switcher , select the device that you want from the list of cast devices.
- After you select your cast device, the media will start to play on your cast device.
Tip: You can change the volume on the speaker or display device you cast to.
Return playback to your phone
- At the top right of the media controls, tap the output switcher .
- On the output switcher , to return playback to your phone, select This phone.
Get help with cast devices
You can get help with your cast devices and other top questions.
No cast devices displayed in the media controls
There are no cast devices listed because:
- Your Android device isn't on the same Wi-Fi network as your cast devices.
- Your app must complete an update first.
- The device you want to transfer to isn't a cast device.
Cast devices are listed for some apps & not others
Your apps don’t support this feature yet or may not be up to date.
Different devices are available for transfer in the app
These devices may not be cast devices. There are other types of devices that certain apps allow you to transfer media to that aren't cast devices.
The media controls is unavailable or ‘grayed-out’
The device you have transferred media to may not be a cast device. If you transfer media to an unsupported device from within your app, you can’t use the output switcher to transfer that media.