/analytics/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
What is bottraffic.live in my Google Analytics? 0 Recommended Answers 21 Replies 149 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
I logged into my Google Analytics account today (Feb 1st 2021), as I do every day. Today, however, I saw a page called /bottraffic.live in my behavior/overview section of Google Analytics. I have never seen this before. It has more than 5,000 pageviews and it's not even 9am U.K. time (my site gets around 30,000 in the entire month on average). This page goes to a 404 error and I don't understand what's going on. Does anyone know what this is please and should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any help.
Details
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (21)
Relevant Answer
Follow best GA practices and keep the default All Website Data view unfiltered.
It is there as an unfiltered, raw, copy of data for a point of comparison.

Make sure bot filtering is turned on in the View settings (it should be on by default).

On your main reporting views, always apply an Include valid hostname filter, to only include data from valid hostnames. It is a proactive approach (and easier than trying to play "whack a mole" with excluding invalid hostnames after the fact.. which will turn into a never ending list that needs to be constantly monitored and editing of filters each time a new one appears).

The Property's Referral Exclusion List, is not how to deal with referral spam, it has an entirely different purpose and will not remove the spam from your data, it will simply change it to being reported as direct/none.. so it's harder to actually spot and remove it in reporting.
You can learn more about what the Referral Exclusion List is for here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Following article has a number of ways to audit your data and how to create the necessary filters and segments for cleaning up your existing data and how to keep it clean going forward
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Anybody know the source of bottraffic.live? I'm seeing it today too.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am facing the same issue. 

This sudden influx of traffic that appears to be coming from bots that have populated our reports too. The surprising thing here is this, bot traffic can be seen in Referral and as well as Organic Channel. The organic channel shows Google as a source and bottraffic.live as a keyword. Any clue how do I filter out this bot traffic from my organic channel as I cant put google.com for referral exclusion.

Thanks in advance.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also see this today on my reports, does anyone knows about this? thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. Exactly 2000 page views leading to bottraffic.live. I'm not that concerned about this since the traffic went to an non-existing page, leaving my pages intact but I'm curious as to how this is possible in the first place. Where does www.website.com/bottraffic.live come from if it doesn't exist on the website?

By the way, all of you that have seen this today, what kind of websites do you run? I'm in a crypto-gambling niche and I'm just wondering if there's any connection between us.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Today I've also received traffic from boat called "bottraffic.live" on my website tendtoread.com, You can also check my site referral traffic. So i've blocked from analytics so,

If you also want to block bottraffic.live from Google Analytics then please see the attached image and follow the steps. 

If you have any query please let me know.

I hope its work for all!

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. We have been experience it in Spain, Italy and UK and maybe other market too. We have seen traffic from different bot: 
  • trafficbot.life 
  • bottraffic.live 
  • bot-traffic.icu 
  • trafficbot.live
  • bot-traffic.xyz
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is not a new phenomena and has been happening for years and is not specific to GA.

Follow best GA practices and keep the default All Website Data view unfiltered.
It is there as an unfiltered, raw, copy of data for a point of comparison.

Make sure bot filtering is turned on in the View settings (it should be on by default).

On your main reporting views, always apply an Include valid hostname filter, to only include data from valid hostnames. It is a proactive approach (and easier than trying to play "whack a mole" with excluding invalid hostnames after the fact.. which will turn into a never ending list that needs to be constantly monitored and editing of filters each time a new one appears).

The Property's Referral Exclusion List, is not how to deal with referral spam, it has an entirely different purpose and will not remove the spam from your data, it will simply change it to being reported as direct/none.. so it's harder to actually spot and remove it in reporting.
You can learn more about what the Referral Exclusion List is for here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Following article has a number of ways to audit your data and how to create the necessary filters and segments for cleaning up your existing data and how to keep it clean going forward
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is the nastiest ghost spam. It is showing up in organic searches and as a page title. 
I came up with this to knock it out. Session Duration = 0 seems to take out more pointless data also. 
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/analytics/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic