This article guides you through the process of creating an App + Web property, a new type of Google Analytics property. Where you previously were able to create Mobile App properties and Web properties, you can now also create App + Web properties that combine data from mobile apps and websites together.
Before you begin
This article assumes that you have an existing Web property. Once you have finished upgrading:
You will have a new, functioning App + Web property
Your existing Web property will remain unchanged and will continue to collect data
Your new App + Web property will give you the opportunity to learn about App + Web reports firsthand.
Not all Web property functionality is supported in App + Web properties. For example, ecommerce reporting is not yet available. However, you can continue to use your existing Web property.
Create an App + Web property in Analytics with one or more data streams
Enable conversion events (the equivalent of goals in Web properties)
Create an App + Web property and data stream
Before creating an App + Web property, read this guidance for structuring your Analytics account around App + Web properties.
When you are ready to create your App + Web property:
- Sign in to Analytics.
- Click Admin.
- In the Account column, select the account in which you want to create the property. (If you only have one Google Analytics account, it will already be selected. However, if you have more than one Google Analytics account, make sure that the account you want is selected.)
- In the Property column, click Create Property.
- Select "Apps and web (BETA)" and click Continue.
- Enter a name for the property, for example, "Example, Inc (App + Web property)".
- Select the industry category. Google uses this information when you choose to share benchmarking data.
- Select the reporting time zone. Analytics uses this as the day boundary for your reports regardless of where the data originates.
- Select the currency you want to use for reporting. Metrics with monetary values are calculated and displayed in the currency you choose.
- Click Create.
- You now have the option to set up a data stream. Select the "Web" platform. You can add data streams for other platforms later.
- Enter your website URL, e.g. "example.com", and a Stream name, e.g. "Example, Inc (web stream)".
- You have the option to enable or disable enhanced measurement. Enhanced measurement automatically collects page views and other events. Once the data stream has been created, you can always go back and individually disable the enhanced measurement events you don’t want to collect. So, we recommend that you enable enhanced measurement now.
- Click Create stream.
Enable data collection
App + Web properties use a Measurement ID rather than a Tracking ID. Follow the instructions in the article to locate your Measurement ID. Once you know your Measurement ID, you can instrument your website with tags to populate Web and App + Web properties at the same time:
Here are the complete reference articles that describe how to add App + Web instrumentation to your site while preserving your existing Web property tags. (The links above, e.g. "If you use analytics.js", link to specific sections in the following reference articles.)
Enable conversion events
What's new once you create an App + Web property
The data in App + Web properties is event based. Events are instances of user actions, like clicking an ad on your site, or making an in-app purchase. Events are also generated when there are system errors, and for other system functions like notifications and updates.
If you have been collecting event data using the Category|Action|Label paradigm, you will now collect that information differently for App + Web properties. Learn how to map your Category|Action|Label paradigm to events and parameters.