The Retention overview report in Google Analytics displays how well your app or website is able to retain visitors.
To access the Retention overview report, select Reporting from the drop-down menu in the top left of the Analytics interface. Then select Retention > Overview from the LIFE CYCLE section in the left navigation bar.
Use the following cards to examine user retention:
- New users vs. Returning users – If a user doesn't have a Google Analytics cookie and Client ID from your website they're a "new user." If a user has a Google Analytics cookie and Client ID from your website, they're a "returning user."
- User retention by cohort – Percentage of new-user cohort on charted date who return each day. Note: This is a forward looking metric that will populate when enough data is available.
- User engagement by cohort – Average engagement time of new users on charted date who return each day. Note: This is a forward looking metric that will populate when enough data is available.
- User retention – Percentage of new users who return each day.
- User engagement – Average engagement time of retained users from
- Lifetime value (LTV) – For each new user, Analytics calculates the sum of purchase events, and AdMob earnings events during the user's first 120 days of app usage. The lifetime value (LTV) is the average of this metric for all users.