You can use any segment as a filter for your reports. Once you apply a segment, it remains active as you navigate throughout the reports until you remove it. You can apply up to four segments at a time, and compare results from each segment side by side in your reports.
The All Sessions segment is applied to all reports by default. This segment includes all data for every session in a date range, and lets you see performance for your entire user population.
Single- versus multiple-segment application
To examine data in isolation, apply a single segment. For example, you might apply just the Mobile Traffic segment to limit your report data to mobile-device sessions. When you examine a single segment, like Mobile Traffic, you can answer questions like:
- Which cities represent the highest mobile traffic?
- Which landing pages are most popular for mobile users?
- What is the average session duration for mobile users?
To compare different subsets of data, apply multiple segments. When you compare different kinds of data side by side, like Converters and Non-Converters, you can answer questions like:
- Do converters spend more time on the site and consume more content than non-converters?
- Which languages are converters most likely to speak?
- How many Android sessions came from converters versus non-converters?
See more detailed examples of using segments to analyze data in segment analysis examples.
To apply segments to a report:
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Open the view that includes the reports you want to use.
- Open Reports, then open the report you want. This example uses the Audience Overview report.
- At the top of your report, click + Add Segment... ...to open the list of segments. This list includes all of the built-in system segments, along with any segments you have created or imported.
- In the list of segments, select the check box for each segment you want to apply (for example, Direct Traffic and Referral Traffic).
- Click Apply. The report is updated to include the segments you selected (in this example, Direct Traffic and Referral Traffic).
Remove segments from your reports
To remove a segment:
At the top of a report, where you see which segments are applied, open the menu for the segment, then click Remove.