Use Multi-Channel Funnels to evaluate GDN assisted conversions
In Analytics, conversions and ecommerce transactions are credited to the last ad, search, or referral the user clicked on directly before the conversion. Because display advertising is often the first step in a buying cycle, a last-click conversion model may not show you the actual value of your Google Display Network (GDN) ads. Even if a GDN ad doesn't lead directly to a last-click conversion, it may be highly influential in your users' purchasing decisions. This analysis shows you how to use the Multi-Channel Funnels Assisted Conversions report to evaluate how different Google Ads distribution networks and GDN placements assist with—and complete—conversions.
- Navigate to Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Assisted Conversions.
- Select the conversion(s) and/or transaction you want to review from the Conversion drop-down menu at the top of the report (above the Explorer tab).
- Select Google Ads from the Type selector.
- In the Other drop-down menu (above the table), change the primary dimension to Google Ads > Ad Distribution Network.
- Determine if Content has a higher Assisted/Last Click or Direct Conversions ratio than the search networks.
- In the Other drop-down menu, change the primary dimension to Google Ads > Placement Domain.
- Click the Assisted/Last Click or Direct Conversions column to sort your domains from the highest to the lowest ratio.
If a placement has an Assisted/Last Click or Direct Conversions value close to 0, that means it completed more sales and conversions than it assisted. Consider raising your bids for placements with values close to 0 in order to increase those placements’ direct conversion opportunities. To ensure that your high performing placements have adequate budget, you may also want to create new campaigns for them. If a high performing placement is an automatic placement, add it to your list of managed placements for more control.
Placements with Assisted/Last Click or Direct Conversions values of 1 or higher assisted more sales and conversion than they completed. Consider increasing your bids for these placements to increase assisted conversion opportunities. Depending on your advertising goals and business model, you may want to increase them by a smaller amount than for placements with values close to 0.